Hello from the Pocono Mountains

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My name is Jim and I am a 3+ year member of Backyard Chickens with the same user name. Just found this forum...surprised I never realized Rob had this forum, too.

I have lived in the Pocono Mountains for 21 years, a transplant from NY via NJ. I live with my partner and we own a 150 year old farmhouse on 15 acres, mostly wooded with about 3 acres cleared of which we cleared about 1 1/2 ourselves.

I am a retired school teacher. I now drive a school bus part time for the local school district. We have had our own business for the past 10 years called MoonShadows Farm. We sell food and personal care items such as jams, salsa, bbq sauces, soaps, lotions, etc., both retail and wholesale.

We have chickens (just ordered 15 more), and I would like to get some pigs and alpacas. We have a number of raised gardens and a large fenced in garden where we grow veggies. This year we are erecting a 16 x 8 greenhouse so we can start early and finish late. We also have a 2 story tool and garden shed and another building for our business.

We are working on becoming more self-sufficient and love reading about what others are doing and sharing with them. I'm hoping to learn here, and share what I can, with other like-minded folks.

Jim

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
:welcome I looked you up on line. Looks like you have some nice products. It's been years since I've been in that section of PA. Beautiful country.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks, Deb. Thought I would post a few pics of the place....taken at different times.

house.jpg
field.jpg

chickencoop.jpg
garden1.jpg

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome frustratedearthmother and baymule. Much appreciated.

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Hey Jim, I know this thread is a few months old, but I wanted to say hi and let you know that I'm glad you're a part of our community over here!

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks, Nifty. That is very nice of you. I like it here.

CJ1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well you joined before me. But hi. Welcome to the forum.

Question about your raised beds. Are you using pressure treated lumber or untreated?

Latest posts