Hello!

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Any other suggestions for good eating mushrooms. I looked up fungi.com. Some of those they sell a a specific salt for are around here and I never thought about eating.
I did not find the wine cap there. I'm also not sure about what to order. They have a guide on what is good for your area and when but, I don't know which on that list is good to eat.
Any other gardening I can get a quicker grasp on. Makes me feel dump.
From what I understand....seeding an area with spores takes a LONG time to harvest.

If you want a quick return, you have to buy the plugs, or mushroom grow boxes or bags.

I haven't done any of the above... just wild harvest.

When I was a kid my mom did the mushroom box kits.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've only collected wild mushroom. Morels you have to be careful with as there are a lot of poisonous look-alikes. They are my favorite though. Shaggy mane and inky cap were also common were I picked by one of the rivers.

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have ate Morels from up north. They are not common here. While looking at that web page I noticed several others that are familiar to the ones here. They didn't say what is edible or I don't know why they they sell the others other than plant production.
Also I do NOT know what I hit to make the print larger.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had read that morels are actually fairly easy to identify correctly, as their poisonous lookalike has solid stems while the morels have hollow ones. We don't forage for them as it is big business in this area and you are liable to get shot at if you "poach" someone's spot. I want to try the wine caps (King Stropharia in Fungi Perfecti) but not sure where to put them in our garden as it's in full sun and there's nowhere outside of the garden that is safe from the chickens. Maybe under the raspberries? Hardwood chips are hard to find here, we are almost exclusively pine and juniper in this area, so it will probably be straw and then common mulch. (just remembered that we have cottonwoods here, and they are a hardwood of sorts)

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Get shot in eastern Oregon by mushroom hunters as well. We didn't even like camping during mushroom season. Dad always had his pistol on him. I picked down by the river in town on the school's property. The school owns a lot of land there and has left quite a bit to it's natural state.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
👩‍🌾 Hello 2021 New folks, Good Morning and Welcome to The S.S. Family!:welcome 👩‍🌾