Hello!

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Looking forward to learning more about ways to become self-sufficient. We just bought a wood stove, so that was our big investment this year. We live on 3 acres and have another 7 acres if woods just north of us that one day we will build on. 8 chickens currently for eggs, hope to add more chickens and some rabbits in the spring. I love to garden and have 4 above ground boxes that are 3x6, a 15x25 plot and about 20 containers. I am in zone 4, right on the edge of 4a and 4b. I love to can, read, and just be outside. Both DH and I work FT outside the home so life is busy and challenging.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Looking forward to learning more about ways to become self-sufficient. We just bought a wood stove, so that was our big investment this year. We live on 3 acres and have another 7 acres if woods just north of us that one day we will build on. 8 chickens currently for eggs, hope to add more chickens and some rabbits in the spring. I love to garden and have 4 above ground boxes that are 3x6, a 15x25 plot and about 20 containers. I am in zone 4, right on the edge of 4a and 4b. I love to can, read, and just be outside. Both DH and I work FT outside the home so life is busy and challenging.
Welcome! What parts of self-sufficiency inspire you? My motivations are becoming less dependent on grocery stores and pursuing a healthier lifestyle.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Welcome! What parts of self-sufficiency inspire you? My motivations are becoming less dependent on grocery stores and pursuing a healthier lifestyle.
I have both of those on my list, especially not relying on grocery stores. Also, not having to rely on commercial companies for heat and electricity. The electric will be hard but the heat we are moving towards this year.

and some day sewing-i can do the basic sewing machine/needlepoint but that is about all for now.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I have both of those on my list, especially not relying on grocery stores. Also, not having to rely on commercial companies for heat and electricity. The electric will be hard but the heat we are moving towards this year.

and some day sewing-i can do the basic sewing machine/needlepoint but that is about all for now.
I agree that electric is hard to reduce and replace. There are some off grid forum members who can help you when you are ready!
My home has a wood furnace, but it requires electricity. :duc We can use it when outdoor temperatures are below 20 degrees, and we use propane furnace when temps are between 20 to 60 degrees. It's not ideal and the wood furnace is nearing the end of it's life. I think DH want an outdoor wood boiler, but there is no way that I will actually go outside (when I'm already cold) and put wood in it. Sounds great in theory, but in practice I would not be able to feed the furnace. I'm not okay with being more dependent on DH - what if he gets sick, injured, or dies earlier than expected?

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I agree that electric is hard to reduce and replace. There are some off grid forum members who can help you when you are ready!
My home has a wood furnace, but it requires electricity. :duc We can use it when outdoor temperatures are below 20 degrees, and we use propane furnace when temps are between 20 to 60 degrees. It's not ideal and the wood furnace is nearing the end of it's life. I think DH want an outdoor wood boiler, but there is no way that I will actually go outside (when I'm already cold) and put wood in it. Sounds great in theory, but in practice I would not be able to feed the furnace. I'm not okay with being more dependent on DH - what if he gets sick, injured, or dies earlier than expected?
This is me too--I rely on DH SOOOOO much--he is the center of the web in my web of life--you know the one piece that it all stems from.

I would not want to go outside either to put in wood, at least at this house as I would have to walk all the way around to the south side as it would be the only place to put on here. Maybe at our next place, which is in our 3-5 yr plan-we have the land just need to build a house.

Our hope is to keep the thermostat at 50 just so the old dirt floor basement stays warm enough that the pipes don't burst and use our new wood stove all the time. Good in theory but we will see how it goes.

We have a few things on solar power here--our gate into our driveway and a couple lights outside but the batteries to store the energy are a cost that isn't in our budget right now, but some day.