Hello!

scrambledmess

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I was directed here from a member of backyardchicken forums. We are a homeschooling family of five (ds11, ds10, dd6, and twins 1) looking to become more self sufficient. We started there looking to add chickens to our backyard. With the current economic crisis, DH is finally on board with the chickens AND is wondering what more we can do to reduce costs and help make it so our family will survive even if he loses his job.

I don't think we would hurt as bad as others as I also work part time as an RN in a small ER. I know I would NOT have problems finding more work However, even if I did, I couldn't match him, KWIM?

Our goal this winter is getting our yard ready for the chickens and a garden in the spring. We also want to utilize our fireplace (which we have never used) for the winter. Those are the baby steps so far!

We live on a half acre in town. I have been told there are no ordinances about livestock in town. Though we live right next door to the mayor, so I wouldn't want to push it to be the one responsible for new ordinances, again KWIM

I hope to learn alot from you all

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Welcome to Sufficient Self! You will find alot of information here.

I am a mom to five, too and we also homeschool :)

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Welcome, I agree with Tanks, baby steps are the best way to go so you don't feel over whelmed by everything.
Do you cook from scratch? bake your own bread? Grind your own wheat? Those are steps you can take now to help cut costs.
We homeschool too. Again welcome & jump right in.

scrambledmess

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I don't cook from scratch, not yet anyway. I am hoping to get there in time. At the moment, we are prepping our yard for chickens and garden. Starting this weekend, I am going to start on a weekly menu. My current goal is to reduce the number of trips to the grocery AND cook more frenquent and healthier meals at home. Once I can get that habbit into play, we will start with more whole produce, homemade breads/noodles etc. Just got to do it in bits, ;)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Welcome
I like your name...HA HA...it kinda sounds like my house..HA HA

baby steps is the way to go.....slowly you fall into the right amt. of work you want to handle, cooking from scratch, cutting wood for fireplace, changing out all lights to flourscent bulbs, etc. etc.....all this to be frugal and self sufficient.

Everyone must just work on what is important to them and head in that direction.

jump in and chat...great board with great tips from great people!
:)

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Fewer trips to the store is a big savings. Good luck in your endeavers this weekend in the yard. We have a lot of endeavers to get to as we finally got our old house moved off the property & we have more space to clean up & figure out what to do eith to make us more self sufficient.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Scrambledmess, Glad to see you over here. I notice you said that you are going to start making a weekly menu. Using leftovers is a big part of a menu plan I think. So make sure you keep your leftovers and have one leftover night a week. Also, after you read the treats chart at BYC, you can feed the chickies you leftovers-not if you cook with salt or sugar tho. Welcome. :)

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Welcome, scrambledmess. Soon, you will notice that those baby steps will add up to savings. :woot