1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. 2017 BYC Calendars- ORDER NOW!
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Featured Thread: Then and now...
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  5. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

HELP!!! Cannot fix my two 3-way switches

Discussion in 'DIY - Do-It-Yourself Projects, Construction, Etc.' started by ducks4you, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Feb 11, 2017
    ducks4you

ducks4you Almost Self-Reliant

This forum is best way for me to ask this question.
    I am having trouble fixing a light with two switches.
    The overhead light stopped working in my hallway. I thought that the 3-way switches might be bad so I prepared to change them. However, I could find power coming to either of the two switches. I checked the circuit box. No circuits were tripped. Any ideas why I don't have power at these switches?

I live in a 100yo house and the wiring is older, probably not original, and these switches have worked for me since 1999.

Thanks for ANY ideas!

2. Feb 13, 2017
    Britesea

Britesea Super Self-Sufficient

DH suggested that there is a junction *somewhere* that has either come apart, corroded, or both. Don't mess with it, you are playing with fire. Get a professional to do it right, or you may lose the house. He is not a professional himself, only a moderately skilled amateur that is scared witless by your story. (his words)

3. Feb 13, 2017
    Hinotori

Hinotori Super Self-Sufficient

Sorry I'm no help. I'm afraid to mess with electricity (several long stories) so I call a professional