help! head cold but no herbs yet!!!

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
One of my favorite tricks for a cold is to gargle with ACV. It seems to kill nasties in the throat very well. Works best for those colds that start as an itchy sore throat.

I also take about 1000mg (or equivalent) of Vit C about every 3 hours. Garlic (as mentioned) is great, and real chicken soup. For sinuses I like Vicks or an essential oil like eucalyptus, if you don't have herbs. In a pinch I have just snorted warm salt water which helps a bit.

I should try Ginger next time. I know it's good and so many are recommending it but I don't think I've ever used it for a cold.

Hope you feel better soon!!!

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Had the start of a sore throat about 2 hours ago so called DH and he brought me the fire cider, aloe, and extra OPC. I slugged about 2 oz of the aloe and am following that with some fire cider in an 8oz glass. It has a very refreshing, cleansing taste which I wasn't expecting and I have sort of a warm, bubbly feeling in the gut so I can tell something is happening.

I'll wait to see what happens and if this doesn't kick it, I'll follow up with my proven big guns which are more aloe and some OPC's. Don't have time to be sick :D

Dooley

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
In an 8 oz. teacup full of hot water, steep:

1 teaspoon peeled, diced fresh ginger
A few drops of lemon
A small piece of a cinnamon stick
Honey to taste

Lemon and honey sooth the throat, ginger gives the body an antioxidant boost, and the cinnamon makes it taste even better, but I think it might be a mild antibacterial.

ohiogoatgirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
writing from my herb books earlier... thyme and sage and rosemary are decongestants (i'm congested like granite!) so i'm gonna hit up gramma and see if she's got any becuase my dad thinks onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper is the only spices there is... :smack
so that tomarrow... and how do i get rid of a cough that always lasts all winter? i'm pretty sure it's why my voice is about an octave lower then any other females voice... :barnie

SOOOOO cannot wait until april!!!

blackdove

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
The Neti Pot has worked wonders for us, and we even use a homemade neti pot.