Help me love turnips!?

sleuth

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A friend of mine gave us a bag full of turnips from her garden. We don't grow turnips here and the one time we tried them (honey glazed) we thought they were disgusting.

After years of hating brussels sprouts we tried some at a restaurant which were roasted with onions and sugar and we absolutely loved them! I'm hoping someone can give me an idea that will result in a similar conversion for turnips.

So make me love them, please? Otherwise they go either to the bunnies or the chickens.

WendyJ

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I haven't tried it with turnips, but grilling on the BBQ or roasting (perhaps with a splash of balsamic vinegar) makes most other veggies taste lovely, might be worth a try?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Turnips are quite acceptable diced in stews and soups; before the discovery of the new world and all that, they filled the slot that potatoes fill now. According to a Jewish friend of mine, a turnip is absolutely necessary to make a proper jewish chicken soup (she told me it has to be in there, but you don't have to actually eat it)
The flavor is similar to radish, so I would think that any recipe that uses radish would work with turnip as well.

Finally, here are a couple of recipes I found but haven't tried yet:
AMISH TURNIPS

Printed from COOKS.COM

1 c. cooked mashed turnip
1 c. bread crumbs
1 tbsp. sugar
Salt to taste
1 egg, beaten
1 c. milk
1 tbsp. butter

Mix all the ingredients with half of the bread crumbs. Place in greased casserole. Cover with the rest of the crumbs and bake 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Turnip haters like this dish.

TURNIPS IN GRAVY

Printed from COOKS.COM

4 whole turnips
3 cans of gravy (or four servings of homemade gravy)
1/3 of a stick of low fat butter
1 pinch of sea salt
1-3 pinches of black pepper (you can decide the amount)

Before I tell how to make this recipe, I'd like to say some history behind it. This dish was originally a European dish. When it was a European dish, they used lamb blood sauce instead of gravy. Eventually it became a popular Canadian dish, but after the 'beaver boom', it nearly went extinct.

Finally, it became a popular Southern dish in America until the mid 1900's when it lost favor and was nearly forgotten. This dish goes great with fried chicken, biscuits, turkey, chicken pot pie, and wild hare. They are also an awesome addition to any Thanksgiving.

This is how it is prepared:

Cut the turnips in half. Boil the turnips on high for about 15-25 minutes. Prepare the gravy. After the turnips are done, lay them down on a plate. Put gravy over and add salt and pepper. This serves eight. If you have more, double the amount of ingredients.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
In our low carb saga we've used them as potato substitutes for many years and they're quite acceptable to us. (Rutabagas are also wonderful and a little milder than turnips) We love them roasted. Cut into quarters, or eighths, if they're large. We sprinkle them with a little olive oil and whatever spice sounds good that day. Then sprinkle with some balsamic and enjoy! We quite often have a whole pan of different roasted veggies...brussel sprouts are awesome in the mix too.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh my.....even my husband has learned to love turnips! And he is kid of picky. :D

I just peeled and boiled them up like potatoes, in water. Drain them, and mash with real butter and maybe a little milk or cream. We also like them in New England Boiled dinner. Yummy!! We were both disappointed this past winter when we didn't get any from our garden :hit

Latest posts