Help! Need a quick, cheap, and easy way to dress up recliners

RedheadErin

Power Conserver
Reaction score
What can I say? The recliners are very comfy and get sat in a lot. So of course they are also very mangy. Slipcovers at Wal-mart are $60. I tried to re-upholster one a few years ago, so now it only looks worse.

Inlaws will be her ein 48 hours. They think I'm enough of a hick already! HELP!

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow, you certainly do have a challenge. If I were you, I would find my best (but not being used), blanket.....and toss over it for the duration. 48 hours is not going to get you something good probably. Good luck with that.

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
Well, if you are anywhere near the California hi desert my SO could whip up custom slip covers in a matter of a few hours!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I bet the in-laws are coming to see you and your family - not your furniture. If YOUR HOME is good enough for your family - its good enough for anyone - including in-laws. Meet them at the door with a warm welcome smile.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Do you not get along w/the in-laws? If no, then no amount of redecorating, etc is going to change that. And, if you have a good relationship, then as 2dream said, they're coming to see you and your family, not the furniture.

We got our house as a fixer upper, and it's STILL not done. And this is after 20 + years. I can't do the work myself, and hubby doesn't. I've gotten to the point that I no longer care what others say. If they can't accept the house the way it is, then that's their problem, not mine. I have enough to deal with w/out worrying about what others think.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I second the blanket idea. They actually make 'furniture throws' that are like giant slip covers. If you don't have one yourself, maybe you can find one at goodwill or something? Or check your local fabric store, they will often sell remnants cheaply that you could use as a throw, or in combination with a couple other things as a throw.
Best of luck, recliners are tricky for sure.
Most of all, enjoy the holiday!!!!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We keep throw blankets on our chairs. They can be easily washed. Learned that from Mom. She always has one on the back, then one folded annd tucked on the seat and arms. Same for the couch. It was a necessity growing up because of my brothers, and now my husbad comes home filthy, too.

RedheadErin

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Actuality, they are coming to see the house. ANd under duress at that. They dont like to drive out this far...they couldnt get the time off work....aliens landed in their yard and they have to deal with that....:ep.:ep ...whatever. They just bought a big new McMansion (yes, there are still some people who do that!) and I am pretty sure they are coming out here so they can say to each ohter..."OMG, did you SEE Erin's house? Chickens in the yard, a broken window, and THOSE RECLINERS! "

Hubs and I were very much part of the 80's go-getter generation. We opted out; his sister bought into it, lock, stock, and barrel. I always feel like the country mouse when they come over.

But back to the original question....I found some nice blankets in the basement, the kind with the indian motif...should look nice. Thank for the tip.

Oh, I forgot to add, thier McMansion is in a gated community "because I don't want no rednecks living by me":rolleyes:
I minored in English, and I AM a redneck, and that is wrong on SO MANY levels. Especially coming form a man who had a car in some stage of disrepair in his yard the entire time I've known him.

Latest posts