HELP! Pet Dander allergies...I think...New house...son coughs

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
It's not mold, I'm pretty sure of that. We have removed all the carpets, and repaced the flooring, we've painted almost the whole house...removed most of the baseboards and cleaned behind them..and my son is still coughing and has sinus problems everytime he walks in here! Poor kid can't even sleep at night.
I'm stumped...I have no idea what to do anymore! I really need some ideas...how to you clean pet dander out of a home completely? Is it worth maybe buying an ar purifier and using it for a while?
Ideas anyone? Would the popcorn ceilings be holding it? I haven't painted them yet

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Can they test him for allergies? My doctor told me exactly what my list of things to avoid is. And which things were the most likely to cause me problems. Has he been to a good allergist? Maybe you are going after the wrong problem.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Maybe...it's just that the ony things he has ever been allergic to have been animal related, cats, rabbits, guinea pigs, and carpets. I've been cleaning like a madwoman and can't seem to overcome this one.
Maybe an alergist would be a good idea, I just really hate doctors and usually am pretty good at soving these kids of things myself.

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
With all that work and cleaning you have done, I doubt there is any pet dander left...Unfortunately, now you have all kinds of chemicals in the air from the paint and cleaners. I would get those windows open and really try to air it out. Is is the entire house he seems to have a problem with- or a certain area?
My mother has very bad asthma and was having a huge problem- pretty much bed ridden. Finally, we thought to check in the wall behind the bathroom (which was her bedroom wall.) Well, that faucet had been leaking for years inside the wall. The mold was intense.... Repaired and re-sheetrocked and she was a new woman.
Do you have a cellar? Hope you can find a solution quickly- Good luck!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I am very mold sensitive as well, and have no issues, which is why I realy don't think it's mold, the cellar is dry and completely concrete, clean as a whistle.
The paint fumes etc doesn't make any sense either because we just moved from a brand new home that was freshly built, painted etc just before we moved in...and no reaction there. Has to be pet dander...just hs to be. But I have been wrong before...

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Have you been running the air conditioner or blower? Maybe there is pet dander in the duct work?

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Nope, no blowers here except in the propane stove, which is shut off. It's just weird...but you know his biggest allergy is cat...and and I know there was a cat in here years ago because every once in a while in the right humidity I can still smell it, very very faintly. No one esle would ever smell it but I have a heightened sensitivity to smells. It is so unlikely that there is amy dander left from that...i think...

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay, well this might sound wierd, but is there any chance he is allergic to cat urine? When cats spray, it really takes a lot to complete get rid of it. If you are still smelling that, maybe there's still traces of it in the house?

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
calendula said:
Okay, well this might sound wierd, but is there any chance he is allergic to cat urine? When cats spray, it really takes a lot to complete get rid of it. If you are still smelling that, maybe there's still traces of it in the house?
Could be, I have thought of that, just can't nai down exactly where it might have been, the smell is very very faint and I have only smelled in twice in two months. I'll never find the spot! LOL!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
The in home ozone purifiers are scientifically proven to destroy things like cat pee, mold, virus's etc.
No need whatsoever to buy them from a dealer though. We use one, and when we moved in here, there was pet damage, and that purifier removed all traces of dander, pee and anything else we found. Then we just had to shampoo.
Here is a list on ebay for prices at a fraction of new.
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=li...urifier&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313
These work as an ionizer, and do not filter out dust, but, they do make the dust heavy, and so you will never have dust floating in the air.
On a sunny day, it will be very clear in your house.