help pregnant kitty questions!

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok, so we were given a kitty last week. Went to pick her up and she is fat! Ok. So don't know when she might have her kittens. We are experienced puppy people...not kitty. So she is "plump" but not huge. And you can feel them move. Today the weather has been changing, from 89 degree yesterday to 68 today and strong rain and thunderstorms this afternoon. We just noticed she has large ummm- boobs, she doesent want us to touch them so I don't know if she has milk but I would think so. So the kids are driving me crazy! Does anyone think she might be close to having babies?

At least with the dogs we knew when they were due.

Also she has been kinda shy since we brought her home. So she stays in my daughters room...mostly under the bed. So they made her a bed there and in 2 other spots.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
If no one answers, pm pinkfox. I think she'd probably be able to help.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
if she "looks" plump you can feel them and shes looking "full" in the mammaries shes anything from 6 hours to a few days form having them...generally cats dont "look" pregnant untill there pretty much ready to pop, and they usually produce milk in the last 12-24 hours. if the babies are "active" there generally lining up...things will go earlily still a good 6 or so hours before hand usually. shell want to find somewhere dark and private to have them (a large cardboard box with newspaper until afterwards (then replace with towles or even better would be scrap fleece) generally closets are a favorite place. cats can be finiky birthers so let HER pick the spot then put the box there rather than trying to make her go in the spot YOU pick (cause if you try that and she decides your wong shell just keep sneaking off (and eventually will just ove the babies to wherever she feels there safest)
generally with pregnant cats they become incredibly loving in the last week of pregnancy, then about 12 hours before may decide they want NOTHING to do with you...orthey can remain lovey right up untill.

id say expect her to pop literally any time. generlaly the wee hours of the morning in the most inconvenient place she can think of...(keep laundry baskets shut away unles syou want to wash cat afterbirth out of them LOL, laundry baskets tend to be favored spots.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It has been 20+ years since we have had kittens(but even then we knew when they were due). I responded to an ad online and the people didn't know if it was male/female. And I didn't tell them she was female and pregnant. I sooo wasn't going to leave her there. She was well fed but that is all I can say. She smelled so bad! She ran into my daughters room and that is where she stayed. She loves my daughter, so I had her wipe her with a warm damp rag till she seamed clean. She cleaned and cleaned herself that first day. Then I dusted her with DE for fleas. Only saw 2 on her so that should be taken care of. She is very shy with adults but not with sierra! Rubs all over her! She hides under the bed quite a bit so they put a blanket there, and in the closet, and she took a box and cut a hole in it and shut the top and put an old towel in it. So she has choices!

Our last cat that had kittens had 3 litters. Always at 2-3 am on my bed!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our very first cat - a lovely sealpoint Siamese who had been living on the streets, but was very loving, not at all feral - had kittens 5 weeks after she came to us. I had a nice box fixed up where she seemed to want to be, and when it appeared to be time I left her to it, thinking that we were all pretty new to each other, and she might prefer to be alone. Not in the slightest :lol:. She let out a howl that was very easily translated as "Get back here! I am NOT going to go through this alone!" :lol: She had 5 beautiful kittens, but was so tired at the end that, as the last one went searching for a nipple, he wove his umbilical cord over and under his mother's legs, and a couple of his siblings; she hadn't the strength to clean him up properly until a bit later. That one stayed with us for all of his 16 years :).

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Our last cat "the old mama" we lived in a trailer park and just before christmas they threw 4 kittens out in the snow. Woke us up their meowing. We went out and picked them up. Got them threw the night, they were only about 3 weeks old asked the neighbor about them they were his cats and he didn't want them. So we bottle raised them. And the only one that made it was her. She would catch any mouse, rat, bird, ect. But would not touch a hamster or cage type bird. We moved and couldn't take he so we gave her away...3 times, and she came back all 3 times. So we hid her till we moved again. We lost her 5 years ago at the age of 16. This is the only cat to get to come in the house since her. We have a couple barn cats but they are fixed. With the way she likes my daughter- I figure she might have them on her bed. Lol

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We have kiittens! Early this morning she snuck into the hall closet and had babies under all the junk in the back. We have 1 solid grey (smokey), 1 grey with white toes and a white sliver on its nose (monkey), 1 solid black (blacky), and 1black with high white socks and a big white blaze (oreo).

Can't tell the sexes yet. Look healthy, and mommy it about to lick the hair off them! Lol

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wowshe hung on to them huh!? lol, i was just comming to find out if shed popped yet!
congratulations!

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was starting to worry myself. But I held onto my faith that mother nature knows best.

This is also the only cat I have ever seen that LOVES to have her belly rubbed. She rolles over for my daughter just like a dog would!

dfr1973

Power Conserver
Reaction score
the funny farm6 said:
This is also the only cat I have ever seen that LOVES to have her belly rubbed. She rolles over for my daughter just like a dog would!
Two of my three do that - of course the two fats ones! Both utterly shameless, both insist on rolling over in the middle of the room or hallway, meowing for attention. I should probably mention that I have never owned a "normal" cat ...

Congrats on the kittens, BTW! Kittens are just SOOOOO CUUUUUUUUUTE!!!!!!! (No, I can't have one ... all three of my cats take turns beating up my 65# pit bull.)