Help With Global Solar Sun Oven

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So any of you have a Global solar Sun oven. and if so . How do you get it to reach the 350 to 400 degree... Have you had good luck cooking with it.. I got mine on Friday.. So far when I cleaned it with the vinegar water I never could get it to reach the 400 deg.. Even though it felt really hot in it..

I baked bread Monday but when I went out to check on it it had fallen.. ( I had had to move it a couple times to keep in sun.. but it never got to even 300 deg..

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sorry, no advice, but anything I've ever read about solar ovens has said that the typical temperature is around 300F--never read about one that could go to 400F.

Did you pre-heat it? Does it have a thermal mass/heat sink? Could you add some bricks to hold the heat better and still fit your baking pans into it?

nmred

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have not done much solar cooking, either. But I did take a class on it a year or so ago (very interesting!), and they mentioned there that bread is very difficult to do in a solar oven. It must be in a dark--read black--pan with another one on top as a lid. This helps to concentrate the heat better. The following link also has some good advice/tips. http://solarcooking.wikia.com/wiki/Bread Good luck. Don't give up!