Help with Hardened Tomato Powder after Opening can

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just opened my #10 can of Tomato powder and it is kind of solid. I can scrape it off but its going to take for ever.. I'd like to transfer it into glass jars.. Do ya'll think it's still good... and pointers and have any of ya'll had this trouble.
thank you

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well still a scrapin on it have one quart jar filled so far. Noticed it still wants to pack inside of it too.. I made some tomato juice with some the other day.. Wasn't too bad and used some in meat for taco's also... Next can I order though is being kept in house..

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Have never had that issue... maybe you could call/email the company you bought them from, or the company that manufactures it, to get some advice? :hu

Almost sounds like the seal broke and moisture got to it somehow???

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I think I'd try to reconstitute it and can it. The seal may have broken, but if you've already used some of it, and ya aint dead yet :lol: I'd try to salvage it by going ahead and making sauces and canning them.

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Can you break it up with a hammer, and use a food processor to return it to the powder-like consistency? I've done similar things with hard brown sugar.

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
LOL... I'm working on trying to get it out of the can.. I have a food processor so it I ever get it to release I may try busting it up and putting it in that.. Don't have a canner yet... The seal wasn't broken because when I opened the can what air was in there escape.

nmred

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Try this-it might be faster than scraping. Get a strong screw driver or (better yet) a chisel. Wash it REALLY WELL. Grab a hammer to pound it with and use it to try to break the tomatoe powder up into chunks. Then you could put the chunks into your blender/food processer to re-powder. Good luck!

Mr.Andersson

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Expiration dates, are mainly put on for taste. Best if used by. Elsewhere in the world, many eat rancid food. We don't waste very much food in my house, if it's green, just scrape that off!

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you will give it a try .... We have had rain for the last couple days so haven't worked on it much as read that tomato powder is able to take moisture from the air... If it's sunny tomorrow will give it a shot...

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
SSDreamin said:
Have never had that issue... maybe you could call/email the company you bought them from, or the company that manufactures it, to get some advice? :hu

Almost sounds like the seal broke and moisture got to it somehow???
I would agree with this. If the product was bad when you opened the can, it was bad when it went into the can.
I would contact the company and write them a handwritten letter describing your findings and request a replacement.
If that doesn't work, giving them a "bad rep" on the internet will resolve their intransigience on the subject of customer relations!
Trim sends
//BT//