help with high blood pressure please

ohiogoatgirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
its not for me. its my b/f.
he smokes, yes nasty habit that i intend to help him kick.
he's on medicine for the BP but i was thinking there has to be certian foods that naturally lower your BP. and ones that raise it.
anyone?

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
:pop

*waits for Auntie's low carb links*

Carbohydrates are known to increase blood pressure. But she has all the links on hand, so I'll let her post 'em all ;)

BP meds are dangerous. I'd be all for getting him off of those too.

Red yeast rice supplement is also thought to help. I'm not sold one way or another because I've never seen real studies.

GOOGLE NIKOLA TESLA

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
RED RICE I BELIEVE WAS ONE DERIVATIVE FOR STATIN MEDS, MEANING THEY CONTROL COLESTEROL.

ASPRIN OBVIOUSLY FROM THE WILLOWS......

COUMADIN CAME FROM ROTTING CLOVES WHICH IS A BLOOD THINNER. (obviously dont do this urself! it killed cows causing them to bleed to death in the field with small amounts: thats how it was discovered)

NOT SURE ABOUT THE PRILS AND THE BETA AND CALCIUM CHANNEL BLOCKERS, SOME ARE ACTUALLY POISONS FROM VIPERS, FROGS, AND SUCH USED IN SMALL AMOUNTS TO CONTROL CARDIAC FUNCTION

i would get an exercise program going with a diet plan, before using herbal things, if this is possible. start slow and improve from there. did the doctor say anything about exercise???:cool:

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score

raro

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It also depends on what is causing the high blood pressure. Some people, like my friend, have to take meds because it's in his family, even though he eats incredibly well and exercises like crazy.

Other people have high BP because they don't eat well and/or because they never or rarely exercise. The cure for that, of course, is to get moving and figure out what you should be eating.

The key is to figure out the cause first of all. Too many carbs, too little exercise, too much processed food, etc. I heard that processed meat (deli meats, hot dogs, etc.) can be a cause for high BP, too.

GOOGLE NIKOLA TESLA

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
raro said:
It also depends on what is causing the high blood pressure. Some people, like my friend, have to take meds because it's in his family, even though he eats incredibly well and exercises like crazy.

Other people have high BP because they don't eat well and/or because they never or rarely exercise. The cure for that, of course, is to get moving and figure out what you should be eating.

The key is to figure out the cause first of all. Too many carbs, too little exercise, too much processed food, etc. I heard that processed meat (deli meats, hot dogs, etc.) can be a cause for high BP, too.
yes it can be genetic, which is tough. yea salty foods help keep the fluids in the blood increasing the overall pressure in the vessels meaning hypertension. maybe ask the doctor about it then.....

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Salt is NOT the enemy...
"if we cut our salt intake by half, the blood pressure declines somewhere between 2 mm Hg and 5 mm Hg. But when we talk about high blood pressure, we mean an overpressure of 25 or 40 mm Hg or even more. Conclusion? Salt intake cant be the main cause.

If not the salt, then what is it?
Research demonstrates that eating carbohydrate rich and high insulin stimulate the kidneys to retain and even regain the salt (sodium) instead of excrete it. The body retains, to compensate, largely extra water. This elevates the blood pressure. Insulin also stimulates the nervous system and this speeds up heartbeat, narrows the blood vessels and therefore the blood pressure."

As for people with healthy diets having high blood pressure, yes, it can happen, but in many cases, that "healthy diet" is NOT a healthy diet. Whole grains are also high carb. Soy is high carb. Brown rice is high carb. If you are carb sensitive, these items will make your blood pressure skyrocket as high as white rice, white bread and twinkies.

Another cause of high blood pressure is fructose.
http://www.medpagetoday.com/Cardiology/Hypertension/21000
http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/07/01/us-fructose-pressure-idUSTRE66057P20100701

So someone eating lots of "healthy" fruit or "healthy juice" is not doing himself any favors.

ohiogoatgirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
okay.... i'm kinda new to this natural remedies stuff...
have an old book about ACV, gonna reread that and see if it says anything about high BP.
he is getting more active. he's a big guy and really trying to turn his life around. i think he said he's like 320 lbs right now.
we are both doing exercizes everyday. he's doin jogging and stuff that i'm not doin though. because he lives in town and i have farm stuff that is a workout unto itself. lol. i think y'all know what i mean if you have any animals. ;)

okay so ACV, less carbs, more fiber, exercise.
got it :D
thanks y'all