Help with my cats ear

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a cat who has a cyst in his ear. The vet said he could do surgery but it more then likely will just come back. So the poor guy has a cyst that will drain in his ear for life. :sick Ugh. It normal doesn't bug him. It only drains every couple months so just have to clean it once in a while. This week though his been digging really bad at it. I'm thinking about putting baby powder in it to dry it up and some lavender. I don't have any tea tree oil. Any tips on this? He is awesome cat. I had him on really good food but it didn't change anything and hubby flipped when he saw the price. I tried raw and he won't eat it. So as far as I can tell it's not food issues. Also the vet gave us some once a week med but it never did anything so stopped using it.

Thanks!

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Is it in an area you can see by looking in his ear? Poor little guy! Just be careful you don't put something on it that will cause him more discomfort. I think tea tree oil is pretty strong. Have you done a search on the net for natural pet meds? Did the vet say what kind of cyst it is?

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I will have to do some research, but I have used something called Trace Mineral Concentrate on my dog's ears when his ears get yeasty, and he itches them really bad. My friend also used it on her hand after she had a very nasty dog bite. I don't know how it would do on a cyst, but I can see if I can find out.
I also use essential oils, and there are probably some things that you can use, again, I'd have to do some research and it is important to use only the highest quality essential oils (i.e. know your brand) because if they are not pure, then it can do more harm than good).

A cyst is abnormal. How it got there you might never know, but the fact that the vet is telling you it could come back and will likely be a "life time" issue tells me that the root cause is not being addressed.

Food (for people and animals) is either the most powerful form of medicine or the slowest form of poison. That applies to things we put in our bodies, and on our bodies. You might want to evaluate the chemicals in your household, if you don't already use simple and natural cleaners. There are very few cleaners and chemicals left in my house anymore, its not good for me or my animals!

Drop me a message if you would like more info or want to talk about some options.

Gypsi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I use zymox otic on ear yeast infections, after ending up with one cat with cauliflower ear..

When it comes to a cyst that periodically drains, I'd try rosemary essential oil. Not terribly expensive, and it worked on my recurring nasty poison oak that kept coming back for 2 years.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Nu-Stock! Always...Nu-Stock. Did the vet mention what type of cyst/drainage that is happening? Bacterial?

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
so lucky said:
Is it in an area you can see by looking in his ear? Poor little guy! Just be careful you don't put something on it that will cause him more discomfort. I think tea tree oil is pretty strong. Have you done a search on the net for natural pet meds? Did the vet say what kind of cyst it is?
No you can't see it. We inherited him from my husband grandma when she passed. We use the same vet so we just trusted what she told us. I'll look up some more stuff tonight. Usually just wiping his ear out with a baby wipe takes care of the problem.

Oops I didn't see the other replies. I just put frontline on everybody and I haven't seen him digging at it since. I only use it when I see fleas so maybe once or twice a year. He is a indoor/outdoor cat. If I can get him to come in tonight I am going to clean it out again. I'll see if I can see the cyst with a flashlight. I'm really glad hes such a good cat cause he has claws. He just sits and gives me the evil eye when I do it. I only use natural cleaners and they do get cheap food now. However, I was feeding him taste of the wild and it made no difference at all. Hubby nix that when he found out how much it cost.