Help With Storing Fresh Tomatoes

Seahound

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have a good twenty or so small tomatoes to keep, I plan on making a marinara or maybe a salsa. I was wondering in the mean time where should I keep them. In the dark in a paper bag ? Crisper if fridge?
Right now they are all on a platter on the kitchen table. Some are perfectly ripe.
Thanks in advance.
Cheri

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Freezer is best, if they are fully ripe now. Bonus: skins slip off pretty easily when thawing :)

If they are not yet fully ripe and you want to give them a coupla more days to get there, anywhere in the house is fine as long as it's not too hot and not in direct sun. I wouldn't put 'em in a paper bag unless I was in a hurry to ripen greenish ones - if they are ripe or nearly ripe now, putting them in a bag will hasten their 'going over' and getting mealy and starting to go bad.

DO NOT PUT TOMATOES IN THE FRIDGE EVER, it ruins 'em.

Good luck and have fun,

Pat, nowhere near ripe tomatoes (very first *hints* of color on the earliest of them)

Seahound

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks alot for your reply.
I know I sound dumb, By asking simple questions. This is our first "real garden" and I have alot to learn.

Im also wondering if anyone has a good recipe for Marinara Sauce? One that you've made ? Something simple ?

hensdeliverthegoods

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I recently bought the TV-advertised "Green Bags", and I'm in LOVE with them! :love They really extend the life of fresh produce, and are reusable. Best of all, I found them at the Dollar Store, which did my frugal heart good! :p