Hen23's Journal~Goodbye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Hi,
At home I'm Mom or Mama, Kristin or at work Mrs. B
BD: 7/23/63 making me 45. I've been married to DH since June 1990. He's almost 50. We have a 6 year old son.
I'm 5'9", light brown hair and green eyes. I have bifocals but I hate them and don't wear them unless I have to read something pretty small.
We're in eastern CT, under an hour from the RI border. It's a less developed part of our little state. Not a lot of frills but we like the quiet. We're not far from the University of CT so lots of Husky fans here. We're not huge sports fans though. Our house is a 3 bedroom ranch on 3/4 of an acre. Lots of trees but neighbors on each side and across the street. I'd like a little more space someday but I'm working on being happy with what I've got. It's going pretty well! We've got 12 hens and one rooster, several different breeds, 4 ducks and 6 coturnix quail. Inside there are three dogs, two cats, and a Californian rabbit. I'm trying to see if we can have either two Nigerian Dwarf Goats for milk or two Shetland Sheep for wool. Right now we can't afford it so I'm researching whether we even have the space or enough open space.
I am speech therapy assistant in our local school system. I have my master's degree in speech pathology but I'm not certified. That's a long story for another time....or not. I don't have any regrets though. If my life hadn't taken the path it did I wouldn't have met DH and I wouldn't have my son. : ) Sappy I know!
Right now my life revolves around my son. He is in first grade. Besides school he is in gymnastics and is a new Tiger Cub Scout. I "volunteered" to lead the Tiger Cub den.
We are very active in our small Episcopal church. This year marks the 175th anniversary of the consecration of the church and we are hosting many events around this. I am cochair of the organizational committee. I also play in the recorder choir (yup, that little plastic instrument your third grader probably plays in music class, only we have sopranos, altos, tenors and a bass. I play alto.) I'm an acolyte, on the altar guild AND I'm junior warden on the vestry. My three year term for that is up in January though. Oh, I also teach church school when a second teacher is necessary. We've only got a handful of kids but our younger population has been growning recently.
My personal hobbies and interests include letterboxing and hiking, camping, gardening (although I get lazy about it when the humidity and bugs get thick). I'm a pertualy beginning knitter. I get a little better each autumn and winter. I love my animals and want to add more. DH worries that I wouldn't have the time to care for them and we can't afford for me to not work outside the house. He's got a point that will have to be considered before we add to our little backyard zoo. I love spending time with my family whether we're out and about or playing games at home.
I'm a jeans and tee-shirt kind of person
A few questions from Nifty's list:

14. Favorite Actor? Sean Connery

16. Do you have an accent? I think we all do to someone out there! I consider mine your basic New England accent, no touch of Boston or RI. There may be a little residual Rochester NY in there. I grew up here in CT though so it's mostly gone.

17. Favorite smells? Baking bread
19. Favorite sound? My son laughing

24. Would you like to own a motorcycle? I'd love a scooter actually, does that count

35. Do you enjoy reading? Yes, I like to read mysteries that are not overly suspensful for relaxation. I'm also trying to read more on sustainable lifestyles, green living, etc.
36. What book are you reading now? A Cure for the Common Life

38. What was the last movie you saw? Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. My son is a big fan of IJ. That will be his Halloween costume

39. Favorite movies? The Russians are Coming, the Russians are Coming and Finian's Rainbow
40. Do you sleep with a stuffed animal? Does a 70 lb Lab/dobie cross count?
41. What is your sign? Leo
42. What are your personality traits? Introverted sometimes, outgoing in the right situation, I like to be in control

46. Favorite foods? Cheese and chocolate but definitely not together

48. Do you like to drive fast? kind of. We own a Jetta TDI and I love to take the curves a little fast. When I'm in my 1994 Volvo wagon not so much

49. Storms - cool or scary? cool if I'm inside and they're not right on top of us.
50. Do you like to dance? Hate it

52. Do you smoke? Never
53. What do you think of people who smoke? I'm not judgmental about it. I never have smoked so I really can't judge anyone who does. I prefer not to be around smoke though.

54. Do you drink? rarely
55. Favorite drink? locally brewed beer
56. Do you think men and women could ever be just friends without wanting each other? yes
57. Do you eat the stems of broccoli? gag, no!
58. If you could have any job you wanted, what would it be? 5th grade teacher
59. What's your "type"? funny, patient, kind, smart, honest, tall dark and handsome and that's what I've got!!
63. Do you believe in God? Yes

66. Do you procrastinate? I'll get back to you on that ; )

68. Who's your favorite Sesame Street character? Super Grover!!!

90. Favorite sport to watch? hockey but I rarely do

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Hi Kristin, I am a jeans and tshirt person, too, with the occassional flannel or pullover shirt!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
LOL, when I'm cold, which isn't often, I'll grab one of DH's (I guess since this is MY journal I can call him James!) flannel shirts. He's a tech ed teacher and he wears them everyday with jeans to work. Only the very hottest days find him in a short sleeved shirt!
I have a feeling most of us are jeans and tee-shirt types since we're a practical bunch. Even those that might have to dress for work probably change as soon as they get home. I know I do! And not just because of the animals. :cool:

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I love these journals. I think so far we all sleep with some type of animal. Stuffed, fuzzy, stuffed and fuzzy. LOL

I know what you mean about the lazy because of the bugs thing too. The mosquitos here are horrendous.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
2dream said:
I love these journals. I think so far we all sleep with some type of animal. Stuffed, fuzzy, stuffed and fuzzy. LOL

I know what you mean about the lazy because of the bugs thing too. The mosquitos here are horrendous.
It's awful! I make great plans in the winter for my dream garden. I don't mind getting dirty. I don't mind working pretty hard. But throw a few biting bugs or gnats that fly in my eyes, plus an overdose of humid air and the garden is on its own. :p

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Jeans and Tshirts babe too! :frow

I don't sleep with an animal but, does a down comforter count? Sort of parts of an animal.... :p

Man, you alls lives are way more interesting than is mine!! Very active in lots of things.... :) I feel you on not wanting to work in your "trained for" field, it can be a strain to think of putting in all the time to learn it and then finding its not the right fit.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Jeans and Tshirts babe too! :frow

I don't sleep with an animal but, does a down comforter count? Sort of parts of an animal.... :p

Man, you alls lives are way more interesting than is mine!! Very active in lots of things.... :) I feel you on not wanting to work in your "trained for" field, it can be a strain to think of putting in all the time to learn it and then finding its not the right fit.
I used to get really down about that but I got over it. A lot of time has passed and I did get a lot out of my college time other than the degree itself. I try to keep a positive outlook. I used to say I'm still trying to figure out what I'll be when I grow up. The thing is I acually know, I just haven't figured out how to make it happen in a way I can live with.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I didn't realize the recorder WAS an actual instrument, cool. I used to play the clarinet in elementary school.

Oh, and what is letterboxing?

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
punkin said:
I didn't realize the recorder WAS an actual instrument, cool. I used to play the clarinet in elementary school.

Oh, and what is letterboxing?
I played clarinet too right through high school, then again in our local community band, until I broke my arm in a car accident 10 years ago. I have a little nerve damage at my wrist near my thumb and it hurts to hold the clarinet (it's my right wrist).

Letterboxing involves finding hidden boxes that contain a stamp and a log book. You stamp your personal stamp into the log book in the box and stamp the box's stamp into your personal logbook. Clues for boxes are hosted at online sites like www.letterboxing.org or www.atlasquest.com. Boxes are usually hidden in the woods on marked trails. They can be in stone walls, in hollows in trees, etc. It's a lot of fun, gets us outside and moving. It's a great family activity. There's a secretive element about it that my son loves, like he's hunting for treasure! A lot of our local boxes are hidden in cememetaries. We enjoy looking at the old stones as well as finding the boxes.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I can truly say I've never heard of letterboxing before! I wonder how that all got started? Interesting hobby, to say the least!

Status
Not open for further replies.