Herb gardens.

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So hubby and I have done fruits and veggies, but with the near addition of honey bees, I was told that herbs were the best way to go. We went to a friend's house last night and they had the neatest little herb garden. He took me through and introduced me to all the plants and even pulled up a couple of rooted runners for me to take home.

He had this plant called Lemon Zest. *drool* It smelled AMAZING. I went on about it and he pulled up a couple of runners from that and gave them to me. They are currently in a jar of water, I have to plant them today. When I get into making soaps or lotions, I am so going to use that as a frangrance plant.

We already have peppermint at the house, as well as rosemary.

Any other suggestions? I plan to plant some lavender.

I would like plants that I could use in soaps, lotions, or even in the kitchen. We do use the rosemary quite often.

Just wondering what other people used/liked. :D

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I grow 2 kinds of mint (chocolate and pineapple), rosemary, sage, thyme, winter savory, chives (need to divide...never have enough!!!), greek oregano and basil.

The oregano grows almost as good as the mint. I replace the sage very 4 years or so...it gets woody.

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hmm. Never even heard of pinapple or chocolate mint. Do they smell/taste anything like they sound?

All this talk about herbs has my stomach growling. LOL

This garden is going to be bigger then I expected. :p But I could always make cuttings and sell them. :D

Are most herbs full sunlight? Just trying to figure out where I want to put the actual garden. The rosemary and peppermint are actually in an ornamental garden that's partial shade.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
They have an undertone. It is noticeable, but the mint flavor dominates.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Chocolate mint is wonderful with fruits and desserts! I like the pineapple mint in drinks and salads.

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What's the best area for the herb garden? Full or partial sun?

The rosemary and peppermint are actually in an ornamental partial shade garden, but if I have an actual herb garden, need to figure out where to put it. :)

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Pineapple Sage, Honey Melon Sage.

Some of the Geraniums are unbelievable! Biokovo has the most wonderful spicy fragrance.

German Chamomile.

Anise Mint/ Agastache.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Wolf-Kim said:
What's the best area for the herb garden? Full or partial sun?

The rosemary and peppermint are actually in an ornamental partial shade garden, but if I have an actual herb garden, need to figure out where to put it. :)
99% of herbs like full sun.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I was going to suggest that most herbs like a little bit of shade during the heat of the day.

Scented geraniums are wonderful, lavender, and your basic kitchen hers would be good to have on hand. You can also research medicinal herbs as well.