Herbal Pain Relief

clkingtx

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hello,

I am trying to find alternatives to prescription pain meds.

I am looking for something that would help for pretty severe pain and inflammation in muscles, joints, and ligaments.

Not interested in anything illegal, or alcoholic.

Thank you.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Catnip is a great antispasmodic.
Skullcap and Valerian are both good for pain.
Willow bark is a natural anti-inflammatory - but don't use it if you have trouble with aspirin, as that's the natural source of salysilic acid (aspirin).

A liniment might help - cayenne, comfrey, myrrh, steeped in witch hazel for a couple weeks, then applied externally.

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
California poppy root (not to be confused with the opium poppy) is a gentle pain reliever. If you can't grow it yourself, you can find it online. For the inflammation, I would try ginger or any other spicy herb. You can just include more of them in your regular cooking.

Aside from the herbs, diet changes might also help. Eating more fish or taking fish oil supplements might help, and avoiding refined/processed foods.

Gallina Vecchia

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Have you tried any arnica yet? There are some arnica gels out there as well as homeopathic remedies.
Also, lemongrass has worked well for me for strains, sprains, and ligament related injuries. You need fresh lemongrass, pull a big piece off of the plant, bang on it with a spoon a bit to open it up a bit. Put it on your injury and wrap it up with some plastic wrap or towel for a while. I learned this from some Laotian women I used to work with. You can grow lemongrass in a container in the summer, harvest it and keep it in bags in the freezer.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
thanks for the heads up on the lemongrass. I planted a couple of plants this summer on a lark.

I have read that California poppy is so gentle it's considered safe for children, but I don't know how to prepare it.

A warning on arnica- do NOT use the gel on broken skin; it is toxic. The homeopathic versions have a small enough amount that it's safe to use. I read about a woman that was going to have a couple of teeth pulled; she started taking the homeopathic arnica a couple of days before, and then a couple of days after the surgery. She reported that she had NO bruising or swelling from the surgery at all.

Plantain (plantago major or plantago lanceolata, not the banana-like fruit) is excellent in a poultice or ointment for stings, insect bites, rashes and other skin problems. As a tea it is good for lung disorders and stomach problems, as a mouthwash it's used for toothache and sores. The very young leaves can be eaten in salads or cooked as greens- very high in beta carotene and calcium and ascorbic acid. The seeds are high in mucilage and fiber and can be used in the same way as P. psyllium, which is the primary ingredient in Metamucil. I have also read that plantain is being touted as a stop-smoking aid. Supposedly it causes an aversion to tobacco. You could try chewing a plantain leaf if you are feeling the urge to smoke- it couldn't hurt.

You may have guessed that I'm a big fan of plantain. It's been used for a very long time-- probably because it actually works.

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Britesea said:
I have read that California poppy is so gentle it's considered safe for children, but I don't know how to prepare it.
You can use the roots of California poppy to make a tincture:

1/4 cup dried california poppy root, chopped
1 cup vodka or rum

Combine in a jar, allow to steep for a few weeks, strain out root and discard. I store my tinctures in small bottles with lids that have droppers on them. I use about 10 drops a few times a day, just add the tincture to water or a cup of tea.

Once you have made California poppy tincture, you can use the tincture to make a syrup that tastes better:

1 cup honey
1 ounce California poppy tincture

Warm one cup of honey in a pan over low heat, and then add the tincture. Bring to a low simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes; this allows the alcohol in the tincture to dissipate. While you are simmering, be sure to keep a close eye on it! Honey can boil over quickly (trust me, I know this from experience ). Allow the syrup to cool to room temperature, then bottle and date. Keep refrigerated for up to 6 months.

Standard internal dosage is 1 teaspoon up to 3 times a day. I like to just add it to my cup of tea.

clkingtx

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great info, everyone!

How is catnip used as an antispasmodic? Is it in a tea that you use it, or?? How about the valerian and skullcap? How are they used, and where would you find the skullcap? Any certain form of those that is best?

How about for fibromyalgia type pain? Are any of these good for that, or are there others that are?

Thanks a lot.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
clkingtx said:
Thanks for all the great info, everyone!

How is catnip used as an antispasmodic? Is it in a tea that you use it, or?? How about the valerian and skullcap? How are they used, and where would you find the skullcap? Any certain form of those that is best?

How about for fibromyalgia type pain? Are any of these good for that, or are there others that are?

Thanks a lot.
This is pain that is caused by severe adrenal insufficiency.
There are things that can be done to totally eliminate that from your body :)