Herbs- grow lthem yourself?

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I can't believe the price of herbs in stores- some of them are plants that grow like weeds- oregano, thyme, etc.
I grow oregano (greek and italian,) thyme,sage, bay, rosemary, chives, lemon verbena,garlic, tarragon and ginger.
Most of what I have is in pots as it does snow here and get down to the twenties for substantial parts of the winter. I have moved the ginger inside already and will probably move the lemon verbena inside soon. The rest can overwinter on the porch unless the temperature takes a real nose dive.

Do any of you grow herbs and what kind? Do you grow inside or out?

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I haven't planted any herbs yet. I did buy some seeds to try planting my own herb garden in the spring, though. :)

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I grow basil and cilantro as annuals. I also plant curly and Italian parsley every year even though they are technically biennials.

Rosemary, thyme, chives, lemon balm, lemon verbena, mint, lavender and tarragon as perennials.

I planted fennel, dill borage,and chervil once and I will probably have them forever.

I'm sure I forgot some others :)

If I could only have the tiniest of gardens I would plant herbs only. THey are so nice to have fresh, and WAY WAY WAY to expensive to buy from the store.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I forgot about Italian parsley too. It comes back from volunteer seed.
Many years ago I used to grow leaf celery to use as an herb but can't seem to find seeds for it any more.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I grow lots of herbs, I'm in the process right now of moving my herb plants into my gardens out back, getting ready to install a more formal herb garden out front. I've got lots to share, unfortunately, not many of you live near me. Those that do can contact me, though, I've got lovage (a nice celery flavored herb), thyme, a nice tasting oregano, salad burnet, non-spreading chives, angelica and a few others if anyone wants them.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
I can't believe the price of herbs in stores- some of them are plants that grow like weeds- oregano, thyme, etc.
I grow oregano (greek and italian,) thyme,sage, bay, rosemary, chives, lemon verbena,garlic, tarragon and ginger.
Most of what I have is in pots as it does snow here and get down to the twenties for substantial parts of the winter. I have moved the ginger inside already and will probably move the lemon verbena inside soon. The rest can overwinter on the porch unless the temperature takes a real nose dive.

Do any of you grow herbs and what kind? Do you grow inside or out?
How lucky you are to live in an area where they grow like weeds! :)

When we lived in Texas, we had lavender and rosemary growing as hedges on the property. I surely do miss that here! I still grow rosemary in the garden through September, then I put it into pots and dry a large portion of it. I haven't had any luck with lavender here, but I'm going to keep trying. A large bunch of freshly cut lavender here sells for $1 at the farmers market, but the seller grows it in her greenhouse.

We have grown different basils, thyme, oregano, French tarragon, different varieties of sage, parsley, chives, different varieties of garlic, sorrel, fennel, dill, lovage, borage, chervil and different varieties of mint. Most of it gets dried and placed in canning jars in the pantry for winter use.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I think a lot of the high price of herbs in grocery stores is that they are pretty perishable and the demand unpredictable, and I betcha that only a small fraction of what's packaged and sent out from Joe Herb Farmer's place will actually ever end up getting rung through a cash register.

I have yer basic Northern Unkillable stuff - mints, lemon balm, oregano, thymes, sweet cicely, chives, parsley - and I plant a buncha basil each year and freeze it as pesto. Every year I plant another thing or two.

It would sure be nice to live somewhere that rosemary would be hardy, though *sigh*

Pat

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
I have been growing hearbs like cilantro and basil since spring. It is fairly easy and the outcome is tasty :)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I started growing herbs only about three years ago. I have been an avid gardener for about 40 years, so this is a little weird I realize. I never could figure out what the big deal was. Why spend so much time growing something that I can easily buy and then only use a few shakes at a time when cooking dinner.

Well I am a believer now! I started with a little basil in the kitchen window and some chives. Now I have progressed to five large pots full of many different kinds of herbs including: rosemary, several different oreganos and several different thymes, marjoram, cilantro and even tried to grow celery last year (that needs practice). It is amazing how much better that the food tastes with FRESH herbs. My dehydrator is now working overtime and family and friends often get presents of fresh dryed herbs.

What took me so long?

Farmfresh