Herbs in the city

kristenm1975

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My husband and I have just moved into an apartment in the city and while I'm longing for the quiet and space of the country, I'm keeping in touch with the green things in my "herb room". I'm lucky enough to have a utility room just off the kitchen that has a lot of cabinet space, so I've turned it into my little apothecary.

With autumn well and truly here, the sniffles and sore throats are arriving again and it's tincture-making time again. Each morning before I leave for work, I shake each tincture lined up on the counter and get a sense of reassurance.

Currently, I have an elderberry elixir two weeks away from being ready for use. This is my first attempt with this sort of thing. It's not a true tincture, but more like a cross between a tincture and a syrup. Two ounces or so of dry elderberries, and equal portions of honey and brandy. I don't recall what amount I put in, as we were in the middle of moving and details got lost in the hustle. But I'm curious to try this out and see if it helps with sore throats and flu.

I'm trying out another new combination, this one from Rosemary Gladstar. It's a tincture that's designed to help children with chicken pox, easing the itch and the anxiety. I figured it might also help my husband who's still getting bites from the mites we moved to get away from. :rolleyes: The tincture is valerian, burdock and echinacea in high proof alcohol. That'll be ready in two weeks also.

Lemon balm is a big hit with me. I've discovered it to be hugely helpful with the blues and the stress I get at work. I'm a nanny and on those days when little ones are getting teeth or just not feeling well, it's really nice to have an herb that helps give me more ability to offer compassion. It's also very nice for mild menstrual cramps and PMS.

I'm experimenting with the lemon balm this time. I have three batches tincturing: one with just vegetable glycerin, one with a 50/50 mix of alcohol and glycerin, and one that's 100% alcohol with the herb. I'd like to try them all and see which is more effective. I've given this one out to friends too and they've loved it and asked for more, which feels good.

I'm thankful for the space to try all these beautiful things and the herbs to keep me in touch with the good life.

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Please keep us posted on your results, especially with the lemon balm. Our local feed/supply/general store has an end-of-season sale and I bought one of every herb they had - including lemon balm, not knowing what it was, but it smelled good!

Came home and started researching and I was THRILLED with what I found - what a useful, handy herb to have around!