Here I Be and There I Go!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow, what the collection! I absolutely love blue Faverolles and I really wish I can have some one day. What beautiful birds and I'm sure the crosses are real pretty considering the breeds you've mentioned! Well, to tell a male Guinea from a female, although its like tellling the genders of bats, the females tend to have more of a lump on their back like the featheres are raised. Make any sense? Here's an example, I find it's the best way for me at least! :lol:
Thanks for the explanation. If/when I get anymore I'm sure that'll be a good help!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'm very sorry to hear that! It's a shame when you have to remove brids from the flock, especially when they're good birds, but don't have enough room or you're doing a big move. :\ I'm very glad that they got to good homes though!!

Oh, I'd be looking for broodies, I mostly hatch from hens instead of incubators. And I do hear a lot of folks say that the OEG's make wonderful Mothers, which is great! Ah, I see, it can be tricky having a bird that's bred to fight-- but some of my sweetest birds have been from a rougher flock. I find that if you try your hardest and raise them right, they'll do just fine! I appreicate you sharing your view of the OEG's, who knows... maybe I'll be posting about them in the future and they'll have a spot in my flock! :D
With South Africa's AI outbreak in the months before we left bringing any of them with us was not possible, sadly. I do miss them still, some of them.

I've not had much issues with my OEG, except with the cockbirds wanting to kill each other (and my cat). They can be a handful, but they are so awesome! The broody moms I had were fantastic and my current hen even adopted some juveniles from another hen once she was done raising them!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our roosters are fairly laid back, but every once in a while one or the other will start fluffing up at our LGD. When that happens, she will treat it like they are playing, until they get too much in her face; then she just bats at them and they go rolling several feet. Invariably they get up, shake themselves down, and move off as if to say "well sheesh!"