Hi everyone.

Chooky Chook Chook

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Greetings from Far North Queensland, Australia.

Thought this would be a good place to pick some worldly and experienced brains.

I live with my man and 11 year old son on my father-in-laws pineapple farm in The Daintree. FIL has his own place next door.

I'm wanting to grow my own food, garden, read books, listen to music and declutter my home of anything ugly, unnecessary, worn out/broken.......or not mine, as we moved into the larger family home which is full of 40 years of other peoples furniture and unwanted stuff. I want to make this house OUR HOME.....

........ while trying to be a good wife, mother, daughter-in-law, sister and friend and dealing with anxiety, ocd and menopause, keeping it all together with a smile on my face.

That's not asking for too much.....is it?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you've got it all under control! :) Welcome, from Texas. Can't wait to hear your story unfold!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome from VA.

So I am REALLY waiting to see how you can handle clearing out a house with the family next door! (FIL used to live in that same house?? Now next door?? Is MIL still around??) From your description of the "larger family home" sounds like they may be a touch possessive of things. :rolleyes: Then again, may just not have wanted to get rid of things, or noticed they should. :) It will be fun.

Either way -- should be able to get sound input for a garden, chickens, pigs, goats, sheep, cattle and most anything else you want to ask about and get an answer from several other people who have them for their own farm use. Obviously your FIL has a farm based for income production, which is great. Many here do this as a lifestyle more than "just" production for sales.

Did/does your husband work at the pineapple farm business? Like a family business? Is/was vegetable gardening also done there? :caf We are lover of pictures, also....not picky, grass. sky, crops, animals...just throw them up here :p Welcome, again.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Washington State!

Good luck on the cleaning.

Mom had me move boxes of stuff around in her shed last time we visited. The shed is stuffed. Like someone played a perfect game of Tetris stuffed. I convinced her to throw away a bunch of empty boxes and some of the junk. There is a lot of it. It's spurred me to clean out my own place.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Welcome to SS :frow One of our members, @Beekissed went on a declutter mission herself some time ago and shared pics of her experience. Not a task I envy either of you! What I do envy you a little are those pineapples! ;) LOL Being in Ireland, finding really nice ones is a challenge!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One thing you might want to consider is as you get a space cleared, try purifying the energy in that space using things like burning herbs, visualization, etc. You might be surprised at how much it helps you make that home YOURS.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome from New Hampshire! Good luck with the decluttering mission, I have some of that to do myself. Always such a chore!

Pineapple farm, that's very cool. Definitely not growing any pineapples where I'm from!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Howdy! A fellow minimalist here! an empty house doesn't get messy, right? :gig. DH may not agree with me! I'm glad you joined us, i hope you'll continue sharing your story. it sounds like a good one! :pop

Latest posts