Hi from New Hampshire

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hi to some names I recognize and a bunch of new ones!

I hopped over here from BYH once I discovered there was a whole forum of people interested in self sufficiency!

My husband, daughter and I have a small homestead. We raise Nigerian Dwarf and Mini Alpine goats for milk, have heritage pigs for meat and (mostly) heritage chickens for eggs. We have primarily Dominiques, the oldest breed in America!

We also raise meat birds and turkeys for the freezer. This year we've gotten to the point where we don't have to buy any meat!

My husband also hunts and we have a garden which we will expand as we can. I plan to homeschool my daughter and expand our self sufficiency in the years to come. We are motivated to get to the point where we are off the grid but that's way in the future.

Looking forward to chatting with everyone!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Meant to ask you earlier what kind of turkey's do you raise? I've been interested in Midget Whites for awhile, but haven't taken the leap yet. I have enough to take care of!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well we have blue slate and Spanish black heritage turkeys but we are temporarily getting out of turkey breeding. We also have a couple broad breasted turkeys this year (I know so not self sufficient but at least we raise them!).

I don't enjoy the turkeys, my husband loves them. I find it hard to adequately fence them in, and our breeding stock (we only have one tom) keeps producing offspring with weak legs. So we are stopping until we can invest in fencing and better quality breeders. Also, like you, I have enough other things going on and turkeys aren't my top priority!

That was long winded haha but when we do get back into turkeys we want all black spanish. They are more docile, not as flighty, and gorgeous!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I saw a Craigslist ad today for a breeding flock of Midget Whites (1 tom and 6 hens) not too far from me. BUT - at $100 dollars a bird - or 7 for $500...not gonna do it!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Holy cow! No bird is worth $100 to me, I'm afraid.

Latest posts