Hi from northern Colorado

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Howdy folks...just joined up today and am excited to be here. We have about 1/4 acre house/yard, so there's only so much we can do, but I want to do everything I can to reduce, re-use, recycle and make myself :)

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi, Mickey. Welcome!

What's your elevation? And what's your climate like, generally?

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Joel_BC said:
Hi, Mickey. Welcome!

What's your elevation? And what's your climate like, generally?
Howdy, from an ex-Winterpegger! Elevation here is about 5000 ft; we're right in the foothills of the Rockies. Our climate is considered "high desert"; it's very dry, not much precip as rain or snow, humidity is generally under 20%. I think we average over 300 days of sunshine. Winters are usually pretty mild, of course after 30 years in NW Ontario and Winnipeg, just about anything seems that way, LOL. We don't often get snow that lasts more than a couple days; at this elevation the sun is so strong it melts quickly. Summers seem to be getting hotter and hotter, which is a bummer. Other than that excessive heat, I really like the weather...love the lack of humidity, but wish we got more rain than we do. All our reservoirs are waaaaay down this year, and we had a lot of early fires too...and some really big ones.

Neiklot

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Welcome!

I think Sufficientself.com is the place for you! :)

How big is one acre?

In Sweden we talk about hektar and tunnland, but i don't think an acre is the same as hektar?

Anyhow, it sounds like a good place here on the planet to make you self a living. :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
:welcome from NJ. We get a lot of humidity here, and I hate it! I could take the heat a lot better if it wasn't for that.

Neiklot, an acre is equal to about 4067 square meters. It's roughly 208 ft by 208 ft, or 64 m by 64 m.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
An acre is about 43 thousand square feet. Average town building lots are about 10 thousand square feet, or 1/4 acre.

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks for all the welcomes! So far, I'm really enjoying the site and have picked up some great ideas already.

Neiklot, a hectare is roughly 2.5 acres...perhaps that might give you an idea :) I guess that makes our little place about 1/10th of a hectare? I'm not good with math, but I'm thinking that seems about right.