Hillbilly Housewife site

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I was so looking forward to loving that site - until I scrolled down and read the malarkey she posted about butter vs. margarine. I'm sorry, but don't encourage people to eat bad food. Her 'statistics' showing how much margarine is than butter is very outdated, and looks as though it was plucked off of the Fleichman's website :/

Margarine is only one of the many things that's gone wrong with the American diet. Good food isn't always inexpensive, but cheap food ultimately costs much more than the sticker price.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I totally agree with you about the butter v. margarine thing. I'd rather pay the extra money.

I still like the hillbilly housewife site. Nearly every website I visit (including this one) has stuff I don't agree with 100%. I figure if I can get a few items of useful information it's good.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
The Hillbilly Housewife was started a long time ago by Maggie. She started another site (frugal abundance) and gave up The Hillbilly Housewife site to Susan. So many of the recipes on that site (if not all of them) were posted by Maggie ages ago. You have to remember that she was posting on how to save money in your food budget. For her, not using real butter made sense.

Here is Maggie's new site. As she explains, her family maintains a gluten-free, casein-free diet on a limited budget.....

http://frugalabundance.com/

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Using margarine never makes sense once you understand that it is only one molecule away from being a plastic.

This is what I learned in my clinical nutrition course.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
real butter all the way.

my SIL daughter brought home a list of ingredients. not one word could be pronounced and even recognized by my SIL but she knew it was chemcial words.

the assignment, guess what this ingredient list was......

COOL WHIP

my SIL never bought that ever again.

Something so innocent like cool whip is so fake it is unreal. what is it really? LOL..who knows? but I wouldn't think by looking at the packaging that it was one step from "plastic" or something also..LOL

that was an assignment in Health/Nutrition class.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have been told that also, that margarine is really close to plastic and was developed originally to fatten hogs (not sure if true) The problem is that my husband was raised on the stuff and hates real butter. And yes he can tell when I use real butter.

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
When I was a kid (under 10?) my family had butter and margerine both in the house. The butter was a lot more expensive, so my Dad made me take a blind taste test to prove to him that I could tell the difference. I aced the test and was allowed to eat the real stuff after that :D
I so agree with reinbeau on the ultimate cost of the cheap stuff. The one that gets me is the artificial coffee creamers. If there is no real cow, the I'll take the coffee black thank you!