Hmm.. Now what? Want to move herbs outside

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have lavender, rosemary, four kinds of mint (though only really concerned about the peppermint and spearmint), stevia (will have to stay potted since it gets too cold here) and I think that might be it. I know the mints have to be contained, but what about the other stuff? Can I just plop that into the ground?!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You could, but, depending on your climate, you might have to dig them out again when the cold weather comes back. Some people make sure that the plants are in appropriately sized terra cotta pots (to give the roots sufficient room), and bury the whole pot in the garden, digging it up again come autumn. Depending on how cold it gets, and what varieties you have, you might want to consider that with the rosemary and lavender. The mints are pretty hardy, though (because in pots) their roots could freeze in a cold winter. I keep my spearmint confined in a large (18") pot that is half buried in the herb garden. It does just fine in my zone 8 garden; don't know about colder.

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Don't forget to harden them off, whatever you decide. One day in full sun, and they will fry....

Latest posts