Holiday Season

ChickenMomma91

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Alright I know it seems too early for Christmas/holiday shopping but I'd like to try to be prepared this year. I'm getting my mother and SIL gardening items. Mom is getting sweet pea seeds and gardening paraphernalia in a bucket while SIL is getting lavender seeds and the same. Its the rest of the family that has me baffled. I got my grandmother some sewing/knitting notions last year, my big bro got a DR. Pepper themed basket and my younger one got a cooking based one. I know the teens are happy with money and I've told my family that's what i want this year, gift cards. They try to say its not fun doing gift cards but they will go towards my new roof and or installing a dishwasher, things i need rather than stuff to fill my already over stuffed house. How can i convince them that I don't need more stuff while at the same time shopping for them?!?!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm transitioning more and more toward consumable gifts! I feel like I'm honoring their tradition of gift-giving without the consumerism. I hope it helps them consider non-cluttery things as valid gifts.

I'm giving homemade blueberry-basil vinegar to my mom and my bestie (actually for her hubby). I will probably give blueberry jam or jelly or syrup to my MIL. I haven't picked what to bring DH's under-materialistic family, but local fudge was well-received 2 years ago. I know my bestie wants seeds, but I might do a gift certificate to a seed company. My sister's family is lower income and striving to be minimalist, so I will ask her what her kids need and want rather than guess.

Gift receiving is a bit harder! I've been giving grandmas wish lists for the kids. They're fairly decent about sticking to it. My MIL will buy stuff not on the list and rip the package open so I can't return it. annoying. goodwill still takes it! They're almost always not developmentally appropriate and super obnoxious battery toys. My mom buys used stuff at thrift stores, which I love. Even if her choice doesn't fit, her purchase didn't trash the planet.

DH is pretty good about noticing something I want or getting something I ask for. 2 years ago he got my a nice broom for the barn - at my insistence! :gig Sometimes he misjudges. He got a pool for my birthday.... I did not really want a pool! I was going to fill up a stock tank for a "kiddie pool"! LOL

Maybe you can counter your family with "it's not fun to.... ". have to find a place to put this. to dust this. to pretend I love your gift choice. to feel guilty and obligated to keep it. etc. Not sure how close you are with your family, but honesty can be a beautiful thing.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I switched to food for family gifts a few years ago. It's worked really well.

First year I smoked, vacuum sealed, and froze ribs. Everyone got a rack of them with instructions and a bottle of bbq sauce. It went over very well.

I've told my brothers that something we can just eat is best.

The kids get money. We have no idea what they like and we don't live close.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We stopped the whole holiday gift giving some time back and it's been bliss! No frantic shopping or wondering what everyone wants, no hoping we don't get more STUFF around here that we don't need.

Just a relaxing time of year and time spent with family that is easy and stress free. The only holiday we actually observe now is Thanksgiving, so no decorating and such either...makes the whole season so much more peaceful.

ChickenMomma91

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
giving food gifts sounds like a great idea. My older brother loves to BBQ so i could find a bbq sauce i can can or make a bunch of different spice rubs.

I also thought about giving my younger brother and his kids tickets to the zoo for next year when the weather is nice again. BB and SIL get season passes for the whole brood (four boys!) so if i gave the kids tickets it would have to be somewhere the don't always go.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't decorate the house anymore either unless the grands are coming. Gotta do it then!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am all about the not giving me something I have to dust and it takes up room. A gift card to Tractor Supply is perfect. But getting something for everyone else.....??

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I usually make some sort of food gifts for most of our friends, but the kids live far enough away that I don't want to send perishables their way. This year I'm sending each of them a 3-month supply of Auguson Farms "survival food." The grand daughter has been getting gift certificates to Amazon, but I'd like to start sending her something like non-electronic games instead. This year maybe it will be the Once Upon A Time card game.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'm so glad I only have two people to buy presents for! DS and BF. The former I have a present in mind for and the latter I'm making a present for. He fell in love with my quilts and manoeuvred me into a wool and fabric shop the other day. Subtle hint? ;) I'm going to have to motor to have it done by Christmas though… I haven't started on it yet.

Latest posts