Holy Balls!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My kid is 3. He is FLYING through phonics and math workbooks for 5-year-olds. :ep

Learning new words every day! I cannot believe how fast he is learning.

Yesterday: "the" "letter" "says" "brown" "bear" and "city."
Today: "you" "numbers" "fish" "hen" "goat." I think he knows "says" "sound" "line" and "through", but not sure about those. He knows them in context.

He is 1/3 through the workbooks in 4 days! :ya :bun

I have no idea what to do after we're through with them. He's getting a big Dick and Jane book for Christmas...

Help?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
tortoise said:
My kid is 3. He is FLYING through phonics and math workbooks for 5-year-olds. :ep

Learning new words every day! I cannot believe how fast he is learning.

Yesterday: "the" "letter" "says" "brown" "bear" and "city."
Today: "you" "numbers" "fish" "hen" "goat." I think he knows "says" "sound" "line" and "through", but not sure about those. He knows them in context.

He is 1/3 through the workbooks in 4 days! :ya :bun

I have no idea what to do after we're through with them. He's getting a big Dick and Jane book for Christmas...

Help?
I learned to read at age 4 using the McGuffy Readers. They are as old as the hills, but I still recommend them, because they are excellent.

Wanna here more scary? My nephew just seemed to figure out how to read at the age of 2, and he was writing a bit, and quite well for his motor skills at age 3 :th

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
*laughs* Just keep progressing along math and let him read whatever strikes his fancy. :)

That's what my dad did. I read the Hobbit at three and college textbooks by 6 LOL. I was a total dork.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
abifae said:
*laughs* Just keep progressing along math and let him read whatever strikes his fancy. :)

That's what my dad did. I read the Hobbit at three and college textbooks by 6 LOL. I was a total dork.
I memorized a good chunk of "Hamlet" when I was 7. My parents had three enclyclopedia sets that I read through when I was a kid. I even tackled some of the "Great Books" collection.

I hope he isn't quite as dorky as I was, lol.

McGuffy? Never heard of them - I'll have to look them up and see if I canget a copy. Thanks for the tip! :D

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
tortoise said:
abifae said:

I memorized a good chunk of "Hamlet" when I was 7. My parents had three enclyclopedia sets that I read through when I was a kid. I even tackled some of the "Great Books" collection.

I hope he isn't quite as dorky as I was, lol.

McGuffy? Never heard of them - I'll have to look them up and see if I canget a copy. Thanks for the tip! :D
It is a really neat set of readers from a very long time ago, but they are still printed cause they are so good.
I was blessed to find a copy of the first reader from the early 1900s.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Doesn't have to be just books. (Although if you WANT early-reader books, thrift stores are often a wonderful source). There is a lot to be said IMHO for reading can labels, recipes, signs, instruction manuals for houshold gadgets, the phone bill, any of that. Just have written materials AROUND and encourage him to read the simpler bits of them, during your normal daily life.

Same with math. Figure things out with him - real-life things, or made-up problems of a real-life nature.

I don't personally see any need for workbooks unless a kid particularly happens to enjoy them. Nothing *wrong* with them as part of learning, but by no means necessary in yer average kid's life.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I grew up reading the Encyclopedia Brittanica. It was great except the British spell some words differently. I always tell young kids to learn to read well. Then they can find out about almost anything they are ever interested in.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Pat - he just LOVES the "workbook." Really it's just the complete mom-attention that he loves.

I pulled out a newspaper and highlighted the words that he (should) know. Not brave enough for that yet. I guess that's the real SS-way. To use what you have...

I'll have to think about that more and try to use it.