Home made ice cream, sorbet, frozen yogurt

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Your food budget is $1200 per month for two people? :ep Wow, I'd love to go to your house and work with that.....I'm drooling already......pastured everything, organic, whole foods all the way...... :drool Once you get into some new habits, you will have NO problems budgeting for what you want to do. Holy cow, I'm jealous! :p

madbrain

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hi,

freemotion said:
Your food budget is $1200 per month for two people? :ep Wow, I'd love to go to your house and work with that.....I'm drooling already......pastured everything, organic, whole foods all the way...... :drool Once you get into some new habits, you will have NO problems budgeting for what you want to do. Holy cow, I'm jealous! :p
Well, as I mentioned, not all of the Costco trips are food. I get my data from quicken and it's by payee. But some costco trips may be other products like cleaners, furniture, even electronics sometimes. It's hard to say what portion of it is actually food. The trader joe's trips are only food, as are dining. I'm including everything including the regular subway trips, etc.

As for whole foods, every time I have gotten in there I have spent $200 - $300 . And gotten maybe 1/3 of the stuff I got at costco for the same amount . Needless to say I can't afford to go to whole foods regularly. There isn't one near my home or work anyway.
Also, the $1200 is not the budget. It's what we spent. Which is clearly too much ;)

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Welcome :frow
Lots of cool recipes and how to do stuff yourself sections in here. I have a feeling you're going to like it.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Got it. But....you can still drop that dramatically. Not sure what ours is but I'm guessing less than half of that. We eat a fantastic diet of mostly gourmet foods :lol: and make most of our cleaning products. I am rather chemical sensitive and have many food sensitivities, so eating out is not fun for me (almost guaranteed sick) so we don't do that much unless forced to by travel. Even then, we hit a grocery store right after checking into our hotel and make most of our meals, even without a kitchenette. All I need is a mini fridge and a small hot pot.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Stop stressing about calories and keep your eye on the carbohydrates. Your waistline will shrink and your BMI will drop if you keep your carb intake under 50grams per day. You can join www.fitday.com and track your carb intake for free.

I use stevia, sometimes splenda, or a little honey if I need sweetening. I use a LOT less sweetener now than I ever did. Since sugar can cause so many long term health problems, don't be penny wise and pound foolish. Yes sugar is cheap, but repairing health issues causes or worsened by sugar is way expensive.

madbrain

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hi,

freemotion said:
We eat a fantastic diet of mostly gourmet foods :lol: and make most of our cleaning products. I am rather chemical sensitive and have many food sensitivities, so eating out is not fun for me (almost guaranteed sick) so we don't do that much unless forced to by travel.
I am often sick when eating out as well. I have never really managed to identify which foods specifically make me sick. But I have identified some restaurants and know how to avoid them.

Even then, we hit a grocery store right after checking into our hotel and make most of our meals, even without a kitchenette. All I need is a mini fridge and a small hot pot.
I think that is a bit too hard core for me. But something to consider...

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Most of what I do is too hard-core for most people! :lol: But I didn't get to this point overnight. It took years, really. And the urging of a good naturopathic doctor....and around the same time, a holistic vet got me to make my own catfood and I gave our two cats many more years of very healthy life. That was very eye-opening. And a puppy who would have died if I hadn't finally gotten him onto a grain-free raw diet, which I COMPLETELY resisted as foolish at first.

It is hard to see one's pets turn around so completely and not wonder if the same could be done for oneself. It can. Lotsa work, but hey, I am SOOOO much better now. I was heading towards being housebound at one point. At a fairly young age. It also took the joy out of eating, not knowing which bite was the one that would make me so sick that night or the next day. Food was the enemy.

Now, if you've read much of what I write here, I LOOOOOVE food and cooking and EATING!!! Life is grand when the food is good. AND we spend far, far less than we used to on a poor diet.