Home vet care...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I posted a thread on BYC about my cat's hip, so I'll post it here as well to see if anyone knows anything about this subject. I know its a shot in the dark to expect someone else to have done this at home but I would like to try...just to see if I can, really.

RE: Hip Subluxation in my cat...how to rotate for an easier replacement of this joint? I've studied the socket anatomy online and I think an upward lift, laterally and then a firm but gentle traction away from the body would do the trick, with a forward rotation during the traction.

Anybody ever do this or have experience with this kind of manipulation of a cat's hip joint? I'm going to call the vet in the morning but if he quotes me too high a price, I may do this myself.

Cat has been limping around for about a week and a half,with no visible injury. I palpated over and over for broken bones or puncture wounds. Couldn't feel anything but some deep muscle spasms up near the hip joint. Then, today, I was once again~ obsessively~ :rolleyes: kneading his leg and joint and discovered his hip joint was displaced upward, and he turned around and put his teeth on my hand when I touched it! All this time I couldn't find a tender area...now this. Then it all clicked. A lateral rotation of the leg when he walks, little weight bearing, etc.

My sister has successfully done surgery on cats using a little carb cleaner in a plastic bag, a whiff or two for the cat and a gentle sleep until the procedure was over. I may try this...

Anybody else ever try this at home?

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Whoa, I'd be too afraid that I'd make it worse with poking or prodding around.

Good luck. I hope you cat gets better. :(

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Well, can't really make it worse...it will either go back in place or it won't...status quo or back to normal. He can't bear weight on it now, its tender only at the hip capsule and it won't get better on its own. If the vet is reasonable, I'll give him a shot, if not, its me!

Let me explain: This is an outside cat, we live by a very busy straight stretch that has already claimed his brother and another. If I should plunk down $200 on this ol' boy and he then walks into a semi...it wouldn't make much sense to have him fixed up, now would it? I have spent large sums in the past on dogs for emergency care...when I could afford it. On a cat...maybe....if I could afford it. Right now...I can't afford it. So...if its reasonable, the cat will get a vet. If not, he will have to take his chances with the old nurse here.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I totally understand. My DH would probably try to do it himself too. He has MUCH more animal experience than I do. You're lucky if your vet will give an idea of how much it will cost. Mine charges $200 to breathe the air in their office.

And then they give me a hard time for not doing all the dental work and "preventative" blood tests that they recommend.

Again good luck. I'm hoping he gets better for free. :)

attack-cat

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I hope your kitty gets better soon! Talk to your vet and get a cost estimate. Also most vets take payments. I have never done surgery on a critter myself. You're alot braver than me! Any supplies you need try www.kvvet.com or www.jefferspet.com both companies are excellent.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'd say go for it. I understand how expensive vets are and since you're a nurse and have confidence you probably could do it!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Well, this vet is kind of cranky but he seems to be reasonable...my sis got her sheep a C-section for $125!!!! My son has already done a day with him in the office, assisting with spaying cats, so he knows him already. Best case scenario? That he doesn't require a lot of X-rays to confirm what I already know, that he can do a simple shot to relax the muscles instead of putting him under, and that he will let my son assist ~ for the experience. Now, THAT would make me happiest! If not and he wants to rack up some charges we won't need, then its me and my boy doing it the old-fashioned way.

My sister has done actual minor surgery on her pets and others using the carb cleaner as an anesthesia. Mostly for emergency reasons, but she has also neutered cats, docked puppies tails and stitched up lacerations (she is a surgical nurse, so she has all the sterile equipment and such).

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am the same Beekissed. I have tons of outside cats. No vet for them. I do shots etc. Call the vet, describe condition and ask for estimated price. At least you know what might be involved.....and if the price is outrageous, I say do the best ya can and if the vet is going to be reasonable, then do the vet. But I understand completely!

I do all the work on my animals. I call the vet for meds, recommendations etc...but the only critter to have a regular vet is my horse. I gave her all shots etc...but if anything seemed out of the ordinary etc. I called the vet. I never took a chance with my horse. But money being never enough, farm animals must rely on us.....

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Other than shots and worming, does anyone else out there do any "vet only" procedures on their animals?

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Well- anyone who has goats has probably been elbow deep untangling kids. I have cut a stick out of a horse- I have treated fevers and lamenesses with horses. I have massaged out choke on a horse too.
I did see a vet put back a disocated stifle on a horse- he pulled it out, twisted then used his hand to push it back in- all by himself. The horse's symptoms were that he could stand so that the leg would look normal under him if it was placed there but he couldn't bring it into position himself. Not a hip joint though.
Good luck with the kitty.

Latest posts