Home work ideas

watsonlane

Power Conserver
Reaction score
If this is posted in the wrong area, please let me know, i'll change it....Thanks!

I really, really, really, really, and I mean REALLY dislike my job......so question is what kind of at home work ideas do you know that really work? I have a mortgage which is my biggest expense at 600.00. I'm wanting to leave my job ASAP and boyfriend is all for it cause it will make me a happier person to live with. So, any ideas would be great!!!!

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't have any work ideas, just a bit of advice.
Make sure your new business is running and able to support you and you like it as much as you think you will before quitting your current job.
Best of luck to you. I wish you all the best.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I think it is something hard to do when you have normal expenses. I live with my fiance, he pays the bills. Except I pay my car payment, clothes, hobbies (except pet food and vet care). I manage to earn about $150 - 200 per month, but sometimes it is a little scary to pay my car payment. I would like a cell phone, but I'm not sure I would be able to pay the bill.

I've done a number of small biz ideas. I think you need to find your passion and your skill. Find something you love that motivates you. Find something with a strong local market (small engine repair, etc) or an internet market.

I used to train dogs, but the local market is not good - I moved to a small rural poor community. I recently stopped and am doing better painting portraits (see my signature). Now instead of a local market, I can cater to - literally - the world. Many more opportunities for sales that way!

Yes - you have to follow your passion, and mine is dog training. But it has to make business and financial sense. Which is why I don't train dogs anymore.

ETA: Beware of sites like Etsy. It is VERY easy to "get lost" in the crowd. Many people are not succesful on Etsy even after a year of using the site. You have to have a certain "type" of product to do well on Etsy.

Good luck!

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I wondered about Etsy. I used to do well on eBay but they changed their search return AND messed up so that mine didn't get returned in searches for a month. The business had slowed, I was going through a personal crisis, and they upped the fees too so I just took a break. I used to do very well there though. Never checked into Etsy. It didn't look like it was really up and running strongly enough back then.

There are a lot of options for working at home. You can produce a product to sell locally or online. You can work for a local business via the Internet. You can sometimes work via phone for a larger-area business (customer service, etc). You can be in direct sales. You can offer a local service. You can start up a management sort of go-to business offering orhers' services (and get paid on both ends of it, maybe).

It really depends on your local market, your interest and expertise, how much time/money/resources you have to invest, how much you need to make. And this IS a tricky economy to be doing all that in.

I've had several businesses. Some more successful than others. I've watched family members and friends hit perfect niches in perfect timing and become very successful. But most hobby businesses struggle. My biggest problem was being in competition with Wal-Mart at times (even in specialty lines that they only carried briefly). I learned NEVER compete based solely on being the cheapest. You can be reasonable, of course, but be unique, or the best quality. Otherwise you work twice as hard and make half as much.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
My husband got with some of his friends and started a guide business doing goose and duck hunts locally (something that was not available in this area). Problem is that his business is largely affected by things totally out of his control.....like the weather. Due to last years weather and the subsequent lack of birds we lost about $10000 in hunts that were already booked and we had to cancel. We have t-shirts that we also sell but it has been hard. He still works his job with verizon and we are hoping to "trim the fat" from the people involved in the business so that things can be more profitable and run more smoothly.

I agree that you need to find out what you are passionate about doing and try to make it work on the side while you still have a job.

good luck and keep us posted!

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've worked at/from home for over ten years now, mostly doing merchandising and customer satisfaction surveys. I've also done some demos. There are a lot of ways to earn a modest living without working the 9-5 grind. I replaced the income from managing a convenience store with the variety of jobs I do as an independent contractor. I set my own hours and usually have a window of time to complete my assignments. Here are a couple links that can get you started, if you're interested.

www.narms.com This is a site that merchandising companies use to post jobs, and for merchandisers to add their resumes.

http://forum.volition.com/ This site has great info about a variety of work at/from home jobs. This is the link to their list of LEGIT companies that use merchandisers and other work-from-home personnel. http://www.volition.com/merchandise.html

MissJames

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
If you enjoy kids, families are always looking for good childcare.

Pet sitting or pet checks may catch on. I hate taking my dogs to a kennel. I'd rather they stay home and have someone check on them and feed them each day.

Caring for farm animals when people leave town or have a medical emergencies.
You can do all of the above.
Get to know vets,talk to workers at feed stores. Put feelers out and see how it goes.

If you are reliable and caring you will get a good reputation.

watsonlane

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I hadn't even thought of child care! My ultimate goal is to run a business for my grandparents year round but with disliking my 8-5 and knowing i have a mortgage makes it hard to just walk out when we don't have the business going well, yet.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I left a job that paid me well for an easier job that doesn't pay well, but has lots of benefits.
I am a nurse, but doing that hurts my feet. So I returned to a bridge tender job where I can do almost whatever I want, for 12 hours at a time. So I spend my time crocheting, sewing, mending, reading, writting and whatever else I want.
Its nice, but I miss my checks being big. I also miss nursing sometimes. But the good thing is I have a lot of 'me time.' I can plan on and attend Mass regularly......something I somehow miss out on when I am working as a nurse. Also, I may be sewing for out soon. A few have asked me to make baby dresses because they have seen my work at baby showers. And then, of course, I will be making most of my Christmas and birthday presents, so that will be a blessing.
When considering a job, there is more than money to think on. Your happiness is important. Don't burn any bridges or make any hasty decisions, but plan on your perfect job.
You might not have the chance I had....there aren't bridges everywhere, but maybe there is a cushy little job waiting for you, if you think about it.

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am in the EXACT same boat! I despise the company I work for - I think they are highly unethical. But it seems insane to quit a job with a decent paycheck in this climate. Personally, I would love to raise pork, beef and chicken for friends and family (which I am fortunate to have a lot of!), so DH and I are starting with chickens, and going to expand from there. Good luck!!

Latest posts