Homegrown Herbal Tea?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Does anyone make herbal tea entirely from ingredients you've grown?

I tried a blueberry tea which I love and I think I can replicate next year.

What's up with nettle tea? How do you not get stung by it?

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have made a sage, chamomile and peppermint tea when I was sick that was good and it sure helps when you can't get to sleep because the toilet is your best friend. Now just if I can get my little boy to drink it when he is sick night would be so much better.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have made spearmint tea from my spearmint. We moved 2 years ago and I'm still in the planning stage on a lot of herbs. I want a herb garden!

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So do I, I got my sage and mint from my mom but this was my last year since she sold the house. But I got about 3 lbs of sage and 2 lbs of mint.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I buy fresh ginger to keep in the freezer. When I am sick I will grate it and make tea out of it for my stomach. It works better than anything for a queasy stomach. Also, has a lot of anti-inflammatory properties for pain.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I grow both peppermint and spearmint for tea. I have Pacific strawberry now as well for tea. Raspberry and blackberry also.

If I can find lemon verbena again, I love that for tea. We had a very cold year a few years ago that killed mine. Took out my eucalyptus trees as well. somehow the tarragon survived.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I plan to do herbs to dry and feed to the chickens & goats. Lots of mint as mice hate it! But mainly for cooking...basil, sage, oregano, mints, etc. Plus my garlic & onions. Have a place set but planning to add several more inches to height of the raised bed there.
Then some PVC frame for netting to keep chickens out. :rolleyes:

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I picked a few blackberry leaves this Summer and dried. I wanting to try it for tea, just waiting for cooler weather. I planted some mint this Spring but it didn't do anything. I can't even find it now. I figured it would go crazy by the pond but I guess it got waterlogged. I didn't know mint could be killed.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
spearmint and peppermint won't grow in the waterlogged ground here. the spot has to drain for it to survive. I've tried planting it in many different spots. I have peppermint all around my back door, spearmint by the well house, and catnip by the main chicken pen.

I don't care for catnip tea. I only dry that for the cats.

I have all of the above in pots as well. plus catmint and corsican mint.

Latest posts