Homemade Chapstick

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
With the colder weather here I've been drying out a lot so I decided to make some very simple chapstick.

The chapstick was a super easy recipe. 2 tablespoons each of an oil, a solid fat, and beeswax. Flavor oils are optional but it only called for a drop. With the even ratio I just weighed out 20 grams of each and dropped them in a mason jar to put in simmering water to melt. Mix well and carefully fill tubes.

Very few ingredients and it's all edible. I used cocoa butter, coconut oil, and beeswax. All food grade so can eat this stuff if really wanted. It tastes like unsweetened dark chocolate. The cocoa butter overpowered everything and I didn't use any flavoring because I knew it was strong.

It came out to $.62 a tube total. That's with buying raw organic. If I'd bought larger quantities of stuff it also would have been cheaper. The tubes themselves were $.18 each.

It passed my heat-in-pocket test. I've had chapstick I bought actually melt sitting in my pocket. Well I was wearing sweats so I actually stuffed it in my bra for an hour. Still perfectly fine.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am constantly applying "chapstick" of one kind or another, several times a day from September through April...especially since I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. I sleep with a BiPap, and the air blows right in on my lips all night....makes for very dry lips.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
20161121_165609.jpg

Had a small spill or I'd have had two more tubes. Hubby took one already. he loves the smell.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've really been wanting to make chapstick and would have done it if I had known it was this easy! I am a serous chapstick user. I pay a lot of money for my Bert's bees and I don't want to anymore lol!

Adding this to my list of things to experiment with this winter when I'm snowed in!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you so much for sharing this. What a super idea. These would make great stocking stuffers too. In the past years the price of lip balm has really went up. We like to use chest rub at night (our doctors recommendation for chapped lips) but I recently bought a tube of Burt's Bee for my son and the price was higher that .62 cents for sure. The smell of chocolate and coconut must be divine! Much nicer than chest rub, lol.
I've been wanting to make a salve using plantain and beeswax for skin irritations.