Homemade gift/shopping bags

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Hey all,

I keep thinking that I would like to make up some re-usable shopping bags for family who are not so green :) and rely on plastic.

My friend and I were chatting about it and she says they are cheaper to buy (on sale .99 here and there) than to make since fabric is so expensive. Something I had not considered.

Can anyone give me some suggestions or advice? i could just do a custom gift bag for each family's gift...not that we are getting anyone much LOL...but it would be a fun project, help me learn how to sew and would be economical as it could be re-used for years.

Also has anyone seen those crayon wrappers? It is a long strip of cloth, one half folded in (where you tuck in the crayons) then the other half folds over and you roll it up and tie it closed with ribbon....making portable crayons. A really great gift for the younger set. I would like to make a few if anyone knows what I am talking about.
Here found a link.....

http://www.skiptomylou.org/2007/04/25/on-a-roll/
http://craftiesweare.blogspot.com/2008/07/1-hour-bag-crayon-wrap.html

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I am making shopping bags from Green Pepper's market tote pattern. Probably will cost more than the ones the stores sell but I can personalize them. I plan on filling each with homemade goodies.
The crayon wraps are adorable! I've seen knitting needle organizers made like that.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Henrietta, is your pattern available on line or did you take apart a bag to use as a pattern?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Nice tote bag! What type of fabric are you using?

Another idea I need help with is that both of my teenagers need holiday gifts for their cheer buddies. I thought little bags in their school colors would be cute and we could make them together...an ideas on a pattern for a teenager?

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Dace said:
Nice tote bag! What type of fabric are you using?

Another idea I need help with is that both of my teenagers need holiday gifts for their cheer buddies. I thought little bags in their school colors would be cute and we could make them together...an ideas on a pattern for a teenager?
Probably denim with patterned fabric for the pockets. Or if I find any bargains on home decor fabric that I like.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Look out for discount left overs, etc. Remnants of fabric at your local wal-mart or fabric store, much cheaper and usually you can find some pretty good stuff. Because money is very tight right now, I'm making my mum some pj bottoms (actually, I started them in Fashion class grade 12 but didn't finish because I was too lazy to get my sewing machine out), and making my mum and dad reusable shopping bags, ever since I saw a video in Sociology about the "plastic ocean," i've been nuts over it. I don't want my dogs, or chickens, or horses eating plastic bags and dying!