homemade kefir and yogurt help me out....

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ok after seeing that all the yogurt at our local stores have corn syrup and nasties in them I've decided to make my own... So I bought plain lowfat yogurt (the didn't have yogurt made with whole milk) so now all I do is put a spoonful in with some milk and keep it warm right? for how long?

Also while hunting down some just regular plain yogurt (can't believe I had to go to 3 stores to find it!) I also found a bottle of probiotics kefir! woot! I know you all have been talking about it here and I've always wanted to try it... So I got it... Now it does have fruit in it... So I was wondering if it is still ok to use as a culture to make more? because my kiddos tried it and LOVE it!!! but no way I'm paying 4 bucks a pint again... only reason I did this time was so hopefully I could make more... my junk food hubby even liked it :D

So I have my stuff now walk me through this... hahaha

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yogurt is a bit more than just putting starter in milk, and keeping it warm :lol: ... but not too much more. There are a number of threads on it here, just do a search.
And storebought kefir can't be used as a starter for kefir, like storebought yogurt; you need *kefir grains*. Again, lots of info around the SS community; in fact kefir has its very own thread.
Good hunting! ;)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
You need a kefir "grain" to make more kefir. :) It looks like a bit of steamed cauliflower. I'm pretty sure your kefir doesn't have that, right?

I don't make yogurt, just kefir...so I don't know much about making yogurt.

Many of us share/mail kefir grains 'round here. My life is too hectic at the moment to start doing that again. But there are others here that will.

Once you get a grain of kefir it is EASY PEASY to make kefir. I make it every day...without any electricty. Just add milk to the grain, cover with a cloth or coffee filter and a rubber band and wait (at room temp) 24 hours.

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
well that stinks! no my keifer doesn't have that in it... I thought it would since it said probiotics on the label... oh well at least we got to try it and know we like it now...

So anyone have extra grains they would like to share? :fl

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have just sent some to two others, so am rather low at present. Maybe someone else will be able to.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I can do it! It may take me a week to actually get it in the mail though. (and you may have to remind me) :p

Maybe sooner. With me it will be a gamble. :lol:

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:hugs thx I found some on ebay woot! going to try and order those...

meanwhile I read that thread a while back and posted a question there that wasn't answered so I'll ask again before I buy the ones on ebay...

will it work with pasteurized milk? (it's illegal to sell or buy raw milk in ohio...) I've used the milk to make cheese and it turned out ok...

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
CrimsonRose said:
:hugs thx I found some on ebay woot! going to try and order those...

meanwhile I read that thread a while back and posted a question there that wasn't answered so I'll ask again before I buy the ones on ebay...

will it work with pasteurized milk? (it's illegal to sell or buy raw milk in ohio...) I've used the milk to make cheese and it turned out ok...
Yes. I can't get raw milk here either. I have used just regular supermarket milk, and it works just fine. Before I knew better I was using 2%, and that also worked. Since DH's cancer I've only bought organic milk, but not raw, not in Oregon :somad

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Whole milk works best, and make sure it is not ultrapasteurized. I gave some grains to my mom, and told her to use whole milk. Of course, she still thinks skim is the best milk, and tried making her kefir with skim. It didn't turn out, but she could not bring herself to buy whole milk. (too much brainwashing) She tossed her grains.

My grains are growing very slowly this winter.