Homemade Liqueurs

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
For those of you who like a "nip" ever now and then ;), here is a great link for homemade fruit liqueurs: http://www.liqueurweb.com/fruitrecipes.htm - they also have a section on coffee and herbal liqueurs. I got a batch of black plum liqueur started today. The only downfall is it won't be ready until the first of November.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
My native plum liqueur was delicious last year, and the raspberry was even better! Hoping to do some wild black cherry this year. Wanted to make wine, but the cherries are pathetic this year, with 3-4 cherries per stem instead of 20-30 per stem.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
My native plum liqueur was delicious last year, and the raspberry was even better! Hoping to do some wild black cherry this year. Wanted to make wine, but the cherries are pathetic this year, with 3-4 cherries per stem instead of 20-30 per stem.
what kind of cherries have 20-30 per bunch?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Wild black cherries that grow in New England. I think that is what they are called. They grow along a central stem and the trees can become quite huge. They are inedible raw, very sour. The chipmunks gather the pits and bury them everywhere so we have a lot of cherry trees on our property and in the surrounding area.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks for the link - Maybe one day I'll produce some fruit to make something!

I usually make Irish creme and maybe a batch of Kaluha in the winter. Then drink it with pots of fresh coffee while the snow flies.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
My gf makes homemade Bailey's every year and gives them out as Christmas gifts. It's NOM!!! I make homemade Kahlua.

doc_gonzo

Power Conserver
Reaction score
i've always wanted to build a still so we could distill some of our homemade wines and do a blended brandy.

cheers

doc

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Wild black cherries that grow in New England. I think that is what they are called. They grow along a central stem and the trees can become quite huge. They are inedible raw, very sour. The chipmunks gather the pits and bury them everywhere so we have a lot of cherry trees on our property and in the surrounding area.
Thank you! you gave enough info so I could look it up and read the article on Prunus serotina (latin name). Having been brought up on a rather large fruit farm in western NY I thought I knew my cherries but Not this one! never saw one or even heard of one before. Thanks again for teaching this old dog!

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
The blueberry one sounds lovely! And I even have a whole bunch of frozen blueberries from last year that need to leave my freezer. Now I just need vodka.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We just watched a tv show yesterday in liquors. Dh asked when I was going to make some. :ep. I did admit to having started some Lemoncello.
:D