Homemade purple shampoo and hair gel

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
For those of us with grey or silver hair, this cuts down on the yellowing from our hair absorbing minerals in the water:

Purple shampoo - 1 tsp unsweetened grape drink mix (KoolAid is one brand) added to your bottle of shampoo. Shake well to mix. If you have the time, let it sit on your hair for a few minutes before you rinse it out. I haven't tried this.

Since I use a shampoo bar, I went this way:

Purple hair gel - 1/2 cup hot water (filtered or distilled is better, probably), 1/4 tsp unsweetened grape drink mix, 1/4 tsp unflavored gelatin (Knox). Mix well, pour into a small squeeze bottle and store in frig. It takes a few hours to gel up. It's easier to dispense from a plastic bottle rather than a little jar, but you can do it that way, too. Store it in the frig.

I really like this gel. It's not too crispy when it dries and really tones down the yellow. I like the grape smell, but I don't think it's still there after your hair is dry.

This makes just the right amount for me to use over a two week period. As with other homemade recipes without preservatives, don't make big batches. It's still food and will spoil over time.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That is so cool! I quit painting the old barn a year ago. And yes, I painted the old barn red! :lol: I was known for my wild red hair cut in a long shag that looked messed up all the time, whether I brushed it or not. I got tired of the bottle and let it grow out. My hair has been white since I was in my mid 30's. Now, a few years shy of 60, I no longer give a crap, so let it grow out. It is nuclear, glow in the dark WHITE.

Grape koolaid! I never would have thought it! :thumbsup

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
baymule said:
That is so cool! I quit painting the old barn a year ago. And yes, I painted the old barn red! :lol: I was known for my wild red hair cut in a long shag that looked messed up all the time, whether I brushed it or not. I got tired of the bottle and let it grow out. My hair has been white since I was in my mid 30's. Now, a few years shy of 60, I no longer give a crap, so let it grow out. It is nuclear, glow in the dark WHITE.

Grape koolaid! I never would have thought it! :thumbsup
:yuckyuck
Me, too! I started going gray in my late teens, colored my hair for-ev-er. Then I decided that it was hard for me to yell 'go green' when I was dumping chemicals on my hair once a month. I'm still not really digging my white hair. I think I look like my mother. eeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkkkk . But hey, I hit 60 last year, so it's allowed.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah, my 90 year old mom lives with us. White hair runs in the family. When we go somewhere, which one is which? NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

I had my hair cut short to get all the red tips off and just kept getting it cut. Now I have decided to let it grow out long and get a feathered cut. I might dye the tips pink or blue, just to keep from looking like all the other old ladies with white hair and football helmet hair do's. To make it worse, I live in a lake resort area where lots of people retire to. Walmart is wall to wall white haired OLD people! I AM NOT OLD!!! (I just have the white hair)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Will y'all me ready to kill me if I tell you I hardly have any gray and I'm 52? :hide

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Will y'all me ready to kill me if I tell you I hardly have any gray and I'm 52? :hide
No, we will just live vicariously through you and your dark haired beauty! :lol:

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've had a goodly amount of snow white hair since my early early twenties. :( but it runs in our family too. I almost stopped breathing after dying my hair one day-I became allergic to the dyes. lucky for me I had my epi pen and knew exactly what was happening. saved me a trip to the ER but I had to rinse and rinse and rinse with shampoo and other stuff to get rid of all the smell and stuff. that was about 15 years ago and now I have the "in fashion streaks" .. light auburn hair with huge streaks of white and silver in it. saw a young lady that was friends with my son and she had her hair dyed like mine looks.. with the white and silver(her silver was much more metallic tho) cracked me up. She said it cost her over $200 to do it.. I almost plutzed! That is half a house payment(for me at least) :th

I have bluing in the back.. was thinking about getting a few drops of it and putting in a small bottle of my shampoo or maybe the conditioner.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Where's my gun............ :D

I had a friend that was in her 70's with hardly any gray. I gave her hair cuts and perms for over 20 years. All she ever used was Fanciful vegetable color. It eventually ended up being more permanent color-ish on the processed hair, but a lot of that stripped out w/ the perms. At least she didn't have purple or blue hair like so many old gals around here have.

I have noticed that a lot of blonds don't really get gray, they just get lighter blond.

Emerald, let us know how the bluing goes. I opened up a beet root capsule and rubbed that into my hair the other day. I had pink streaks until I washed it. :lol:

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Denim Deb said:
Where's my gun............ :D

I had a friend that was in her 70's with hardly any gray. I gave her hair cuts and perms for over 20 years. All she ever used was Fanciful vegetable color. It eventually ended up being more permanent color-ish on the processed hair, but a lot of that stripped out w/ the perms. At least she didn't have purple or blue hair like so many old gals around here have.

I have noticed that a lot of blonds don't really get gray, they just get lighter blond.

Emerald, let us know how the bluing goes. I opened up a beet root capsule and rubbed that into my hair the other day. I had pink streaks until I washed it. :lol:
Sorry been gone so long but I put about 1 tablespoon of the bluing in a bottle of shampoo but not a big bottle maybe 10 oz. and it did help with some of the weird coloring my hair can get from swimming in pools or just from the hard water. I even took my bluing to a friends house and we made her some as she was bummed her hair was turning a bit yellow on the ends due the hard water they have. My MIL told me that my hair was so shiny and just sparkled white in the sun this summer. so I am gonna keep using it as long as I don't go too blue.. :) I use it once a week right now
Now a pink streak in my hair would make my grand daughter happy.. she wants this kit that lets you streak your hair with neon pink/yellow/green/blue. they look like little compacts that you slide the hair thru. Green is my favorite color..