Homemade Static Guard??

LPOHHomestead

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
'Tis the season for static cling! Anyone tried a homemade version of static guard? That stuff smells so bad. I know it's probably horrible to breathe it in. I'd love to have a homemade version to use that would smell better, be chemical-free and less expensive.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've found that when using the homemade detergents I have NO static at all. I dry clothing with a few dryer balls and even in the winter have no problems with static. I would think it is because of the lack of soapy residue and oils in the clothing fibers.

I've heard that using vinegar in your rinse cycle will help eliminate any static you may have.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I'm not as lucky as Bee to have no static from homemade detergents, but we also have fairly hard water, apparently.
Most of our static happens with fleeces or the under armor cold gear.
I guess maybe we are getting some benefit...

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
A little bit of liquid fabric softener in a spray bottle with water is a good Static Guard substitute.

You can also use the same mix, spray it on a rag when you dust furniture. Makes a great dust repellent - Endust substitute.

Germantown_Jeans

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
For a little less than a year, I have been using SoapBerries for the wash and trying to hang outside to dry if possible and get no static that way. However, with this season's weather when I can't hang outside, I put about a half cup of White Vinegar in the rinse cycle. Leaves no smell and gets the static out about 95% of the time. Since they don't get the nice fresh air smell, I put a few drop of my favorite essential oils on a piece of cotton and throw it in the last 15 minues of drying time.
I LOVE to make different mixes and experiment!:clap

RobinL

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
How do you use SoapBerries? Also, I have heard that a little peroxide in your wash takes out static cling. Not sure if it works though and not sure if you can use it on colored wash. Anyone ever heard of this?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Hi Robin!

I haven't heard of any of these before! ;) I have one box left of bounce unscented sheets. After that... I hope I find a solution. I've heard of using wool balls in the dryer. I never noticed a difference before, but our old house wasn't so dry and static wasn't an issue. I have the wool balls, so I'll try it first.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
White vinegar in the rinse does wonders for static. The dryer balls have never helped me with static, but they do make the clothes dry faster.