Homemade Vanilla Extract

Rhettsgreygal

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Vanilla Extract

The recipe is simple: Approximately 6 vanilla beans per one cup of vodka, brandy, tequila, or other choice of alcohol (should be at least 70 proof). Approximately: 1.00 Liter = 33.8140565 oz
1.75 Liters = 59.1745989 oz

I split the beans in half and put them in the bottle of liquor (after removing about a cup or so of liquid). After putting in all the beans, refill with as much remaining liquor. I shake the bottle a few times a week. It is suppose to be ready after 1 month, but it gets better the longer it sits. You can remove the beans by pouring through a coffee filter if you prefer. I plan on keeping the beans in the bottle unless I give as a gift to someone who would be "wigged out" by having them float around in the bottle/jar.

If you can smell the alcohol when you open the bottle, it is not ready.

I purchased my beans here: http://www.vanillaproductsusa.com/servlet/StoreFront

I use the Grade B Extract Vanilla beans. I purchased the 1 pound size and got the 1/4 pound of Grade A Beans. In total there are approximately 200 beans in this size order. I use mostly the Grade B beans with some of the Grade A beans. I haven't tried the first batch yet. I am holding out for 3 months (which will be June 3rd).

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You will never go back once you taste it. I have a big glug in my coffee right now. Yum.

Rhettsgreygal

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Javamama said:
You will never go back once you taste it. I have a big glug in my coffee right now. Yum.
I love it in my coffee as I brew it, so this will save me some money on my vanilla coffee addiction.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Perfect timing!!
The local grocery store has two or three beans in a cute little bottle for $13. The closet health food store (40 miles from here) has vanilla beans for $7 EACH BEAN!!!!

Did you buy the Bourbon or Tahitian vanilla? I'm kind of leaning towards getting the sampler to see what the difference is.

Rhettsgreygal

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Perfect timing!!
The local grocery store has two or three beans in a cute little bottle for $13. The closet health food store (40 miles from here) has vanilla beans for $7 EACH BEAN!!!!

Did you buy the Bourbon or Tahitian vanilla? I'm kind of leaning towards getting the sampler to see what the difference is.
I bought the Grade B Bourbon (1 lb) and received a free 1/4 lb of the Grade A (which I believe are the Tahitian).

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Marianne there are much better places to buy vanilla for a LOT less money if you shop online. I can't recall where I got my last ones, but it was ten times cheaper than the grocery store beans.

Rhettsgreygal

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Marianne there are much better places to buy vanilla for a LOT less money if you shop online. I can't recall where I got my last ones, but it was ten times cheaper than the grocery store beans.
The cost for the beans at the website in my original link came to approximately .15 per bean with shipping. I received approximately 200 beans for $29.95.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
That sampler package with freebies is a lot of beans!

Our7Wonders

Power Conserver
Reaction score
don't know how it comes out in the by-the-bean cost comparison, but I just received my vanilla beans from Azure Standard. They're on sale until the end of April (12% off) $5.15 per ounce. I'm starting them now to make gifts for Christmas. We'll put them in cute little bottles and attach some vanilla recipes with fancy ribbon. I hould be able to make alot of gifts that way. At least I'm hoping to. This will be my first time making it.