Homemade wind turbines

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Did you buy from other power ? I'd like to know what they are like to work with and how reliable they are.

johnElarue

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
No, I haven't bought anything from otherpower.com, just made some simple low power machines from DC motors.

Their turbine kits look robust enough, I've been reading that site for a long time and it seems at worst the blade could fail, but that is true for most turbines.

They basically copied Hugh Piggot of Scotland, who pioneered the field of homebrewed wind turbines. I haven't come across much material on the net knocking either of them.

If you've got the machining\welding skills, even better, make it yourself. Wish I'd went to VoTech sometimes, doh!

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I saw one once made from a plastic barrel. It was cut in half length wise and each half inserted into the other to make cups. It had ball berrings involved. It hung from the bottom side of a second story deck on a house. It was really neat and cost about $300 to make. Wish I could tell you more. I saw it on T Boone Pickens site.. www.pickensplan.com and I have since gone back looking for it and couldn't find it. Im sure its still there but sooo many people post there, theres tons of info. There were color photos of it with basic instructions.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
solarkate said:
You can MAKE a wind turbine?!?!
You can do a web search for "homemade wind turbine" or "homemade wind generator" and find a lot of info. One of my favorite pages can be found here .

This is definitely something that I would like to try in the future, as a way to keep some emergency back-up batteries charged.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
This is our next project.

We can't really harvest solar power, (too many clouds most of the year) but wind power is an option for us. When the economy turns around and we have more cash flow (unless they will do a trade for eggs or potatoes), it will be next on our agenda, hopefully in the next year or so.:fl

julied

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I totally agree with johnElarue. Otherpower is the best. My husband researched wind turbines there for a couple of years and then built his own. Bought products through them (wire, magnets)and they are a great bunch of people. Wind turbines are nice when you have wind LOL, but here in Michigan we don't get much. Ours is a 12' turbine, on a 70' tower. All "homebuilt". Needless to say I'm pretty proud of his accomplishment. We have a bank of batteries to store power in but we also have 4 solar panels. The sun definately "out powers" the wind. Happy with both though.

kyhighlander

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
you can get the alternators at www.windbluepower.com. they have permanent magnet rotors so you don't have to excite it. They also have a lot of kits and such.

youtube also has a guy on there that makes a turbine from 3 inch pvc pipe, blades and all. then uses one of the alternators from windbluepower.

Good luck with your project.

KY