Homemade Windshield Washer Fluid

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Just found this at http://www.4us2be.com/cars-transport/earn-money-homemade-windshield-washer-fluid/

For warmer climates you can use:

- 25% windex and 75% water and a teaspoon of liquid dishwasher fluid, or
- 9 cups of water, 1 cup of isopropyl alcohol, 1 tablespoon of dishwashing liquid, or
- one gallon of distilled water and one cup of glass cleaner

For colder climates you can use:

- one gallon of distilled water, one cup of glass cleaner and one-half of a cup of isopropyl alcohol (anti-freezing agent), or
- mixture of one part vinegar and three parts of water

Most popular windshield washer fluids on the market today are made up of 90% water and 10% methanol. To get best results you should use distilled water as it is free of the impurities found in tap water. Methanol can be found at an industrial supply store or you can use a larger quantity of ethanol (drinking alcohol). To test the right mixture leave it in the cooler over night, if it doesnt freeze, youve got yourself a homemade, eco friendly windshield fluid.

The glass cleaner must be something like Windex (which I don't have or ever buy), so I'm aiming for the 9 parts water and 1 part rubbing alcohol and adding a bit of Dawn. I'll do the freeze test first! I'll probably use the filtered water from our pricey RO system instead of distilled....but I'll bounce this off of DH first, as it's his department.

Vinegar doesn't freeze solid?

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Around here, windshield washer fluid is much less expensive than Windex. I use windshield washer fluid to wash my house windows.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes! it's pretty cheap here, too. A lot cheaper than Windex (and it makes perfect sense that it'd work for windows). That's why I was leaning towards the water/rubbing alcohol mix.

I try to do the 'green' thing so I look for homemade recipes for everything. :D

OrganicKale

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I haven't bought Windex in decades.

I use one bottle alcohol, 1 TBS dish soap, 1/2 cup non sudsy ammonia to a gallon of water.

I think I will use this as the "glass cleaner" part.

weltonsee4

Frugally lurking
Reaction score
put a grill on top kind of thing. I figured out that you can (I think) use a webber grill to smoke small amounts, so I nixed my pit idea. (Ohmigosh, we have too many rocks/boulders to dig a pit.)

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think that last post went into the wrong thread...