Homeschoolers opinions sought...state internet home school

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I am seeking the opinion of new and experienced home schoolers here regarding my 13-year-old son who I will refer to as A.

A local district a few towns south is offering an internet-delivered computer curriculum for middle school and high school students. In the trial we have reviewed (IQ Academy) the program seems interesting and interactive and easy for us to follow his progress and see exactly what he is being taught, participate. A would have both a tutor and an assigned teacher that he can call with questions. There are occasional field trips and school events, and this district is within driving distance from our house.

Reasons we are interested:
Our house is in an extremely remote area and we are sometimes not able to get out.
A is a poor student, not ADD or ADHD but tends to be extremely distracted by his fellow students, wants to be the class clown and get everyone's attention by being funny. Usually making fun of teacher. Makes him lots of points. To air our dirty laundry, he has recently escalated from interacting poorly with neighbors on the way to the bus stop and the bus driver and fellow students, to actually breaking laws and being arrested at school. While our closest neighbors and his friends are a wholesome influence, some of our other neighbors leave alot to be desired in the way of role models and we feel sending him on the bus to the public school leaves us totally out of control of the whole situation.

My husband and I were not particularly "teaching" types although I was always a good student myself and my husband is very intelligent although was a poor student. But I both work full time and I'm hearing impaired so did not feel qualified to tackle establishing a home school curriculum myself that I could get my son to stick with. And my husband is a bit of a free-thinker and I was worried what branches of study he might delve into instead of what the school will require.

This child behaves much better in the company of his family and we see the good side of him when he is home helping with our animals and chores. I'm hoping that keeping him away from distractions of his peers will help him focus on becoming someone Beekissed described here, instead of the lazy, avoiding, slacker role he is presently working himself into.

What do you experienced home schoolers think of this idea for my problem child? Your time taken to read this post and consider your answer is very much appreciated. My hearing impairment makes it hard to "discuss" this in any other fashion. I need you all!

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think that an online program sounds perfect for him and you! I am not familiar with IQ Academy, but I am familiar with www.K12.com which is available in many states. (if you are in the USA) From what you have described, it is pretty much the same thing.

Many parents feel unqualified to be teachers to their own children. That is normal, but not necessary. Especially at his age, your ds can and should be responsible for his own education. You are there to help him find the resources he needs, encourage and direct him. Parents are excellent at doing those things.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I think it would be worth a try. I attended school completely online for grades 8-12 and it was exactly what I needed, not only to succeed as a student but to find myself, who I really am without the outside influences.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Wow! What encouraging posts, both of them. Thanks! I hope to hear from more as the week progresses. SS is awesome!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Sounds like he may be a bright child that is simply just bored in public school.

Think of all the wonderful things you can learn together while he is home.

I often dream about home schooling my 13 year old daughter. If she were home more, I would have her out in the garden designing a bigger plot than she already has. She could volunteer at the local animal sanctuary (we have one that takes on young volunteers). She could learn to make a small business out of raising MORE chickens and ducks, selling eggs and eventually maybe get bees and sell honey etc. (Making and selling soaps!) It sounds like I might need to do some research for myself! :p

I think the home schooling schedule is shorter than public school's schedule so you have more time for wonderful/meaningful life experiences that you could do together.

Keep us informed! :pop

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think it is a wonderful idea! We are planning on moving to internet based HS when DD gets a little older (She's 7) but for now, she still needs somewhat extended parental involvement.

You are totally qualified to educate your child in whatever manner you choose, simply by merit of being his mother. All you might need is a little guidance & structure, which the online program will give you.

This way, he gets to choose his own focus (by doing extra/advanced assignments in science/english/reading/math), while not leaving out the important skills that are required in college & the workplace.

It gives you direct access to his progress & you CAN be right there when he needs you, instead of him waiting for a teacher to get through 17 other kids.

Just a little info that makes me agree with BBH's assessment:

At the school for Math & Science (where all the reeeally bright kids go, God bless my mensa level cousin) the rules were ever so much stricter than in standard public or private schools. The reason being that highly intelligent people are more likely to get bored & come up with ways of entertaining themselves that weren't always productive. Like rolling a dumpster downhill through the middle of campus... while it was on fire with homemade gelatinized gasoline.

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
It gives you direct access to his progress & you CAN be right there when he needs you, instead of him waiting for a teacher to get through 17 other kids.
Only 17 other kids!? Try 39 other kids.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
tamlynn said:
noobiechickenlady said:
Only 17 other kids!? Try 39 other kids.
I was just pulling a number out of my... hat. Hehe, I'm in a small town, there were only 30 people in my graduation. But, in this case, smaller classes do NOT mean better education. :(

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have looked into the K12 program. We have felt our child would benefit from online teaching rather than a class full of distracting students, but have not felt we are ready yet (we are thinking middle or high school). They have a lot of meet and greets for the kids if they need social interaction and also they plan field trips together etc. Also they (at least in our area) can still participate in sports at the local schools, science projects etc. If you feel your child will do well in a more homey atmosphere then I would go for it. You can always re-enroll in public school after a semester of trying it.

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
One thing I have learned in the last year is that you just need to jump in. Find something that feels right. And if it doesn't work out as well as you thought then oh well, you can always change it, tweak it, or drop it. ;) It's one of the perks of being in charge.