Homeschooling and manual skills?

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I feel DS#2 is very lucky (although he may argue that). His Dad is an amazing, well rounded carpenter. DS has helped with demolition (his favorite), to-the-stud remodeling (insulation, drywall, mud & taping, custom cabinetry, multiple flooring mediums, HVAC, electrical, and plumbing), and several free standing carpentry projects. He has built me beautiful presents for Mother's Day using his own set of hand tools (and guided by Dad). I have also taught him to sew, cook, can and budget. He hunts, loves to fish year-round, and has learned many outdoor survival techniques. I was taught, by my wonderful brother, how to do almost anything to a car (w/ a carb, not so much these new types) and I have begun to pass on some of those lessons to him. He is an active participant in all of our farming and gardening pursuits, and has been learning through trial and error right along beside us. I really like the fact that he see's us fail, as well as succeed, in our efforts. He has learned quite a lot from our animals, and made a little pocket change along the way (from eggs). I have striven for a well rounded experience throughout his schooling. To me, it is as important to know how to wash your clothes as it is to learn your multiplication tables. It is nice to know how to navigate the web, but just as important (or more so) to be able to navigate through thick woods using only a compass, and being able to build shelter from the elements using only items found in nature. He can 'discuss' politics with adults as easily as he can play XBOX with his friends. I feel homeschooling allows us to prepare our children for every aspect of future life, not just the three R's. Now, having said all that; I attended public school, but learned a lot of things after school/summers on our farm. It is possible to learn everything I have listed and go to public school. DS#1 learned everything that way. It is just so much easier to teach these things in the homeschooling setting.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
keljonma said:
While not homeschooled, when I was growing up, my dad insisted if I wanted to drive the car, I first had to be able to change a tire, replace fuses and lights, do a tune-up, diagnosing problems, and make some minor body repairs, Of course, that was back in the day before all cars were computerized and made of plastic. :D
My dad did this too... although I'm in my early 30's... before I was allowed to go for my license I had to change and rotate the tires on the car, change the oil, replace fuses, etc... small things but 'no daughter of his would be stranded with a flat tire' :)

He also taught me basic wiring, basic carpentry and how to use some power tools, how to build a computer from scratch, lots of practical things I can use all the time. I think every child should learn as many practical skills as possible.

I was talking to one of my friends, and she was complaining that she had been nagging her husband to put in a dryer vent for weeks and he hadn't done it... I said 'why don't you do it?' She said 'because I'm a girl I can't use tools'... it drives me crazy when women (probably none of the women on this site, but still) use their gender as an excuse not to do something. My daughter will now how to fix her car, use tools and do things for herself.