Homeschooling mentally retarded children.

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What about an online public charter school? Free curriculum and some provide additional services for those with IEPs.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Mattemna that's a great idea. Does such a thing exist though? THAT is what I am ultimately trying to find out for her. We are going to go to the school board this Fall and find out what can be done about this. I'm just still doing a lot of research right now for her. She wants me to accompany them since I have experienced arguing with these folks about my own kids :lol: :/ *sigh* I hope I don't lose it :hide

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Online schools depend on what state she's in. Ohio has a bunch (I work for one which will remain nameless because I should probably not bad-mouth my employer on a public forum.), but they are illegal in some states. I haven't hear about Tennessee. K12 and Connections Academy are 2 companies that run them in many states, so I would check out their websites. They generally will link you to websites for all of their schools.

janeclint

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
For me I believe children with special condition should be provided with environment appropriate to their abilities and their condition. Many children who have ADD and ADHD underperform in school because the classes are not structured to help them focus effectively. Aside from that, children with ADHD and ADD are often criticized and admonished because of their perceived shortcomings in class. They struggle with a negative self-image because they have to deal with constant corrections and criticisms.

raro

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
As a special ed teacher, this situation is one of the most frustrating of all. Those in charge tend to have preconceived ideas of where the child belongs. We had a young man at the beginning of the year who was borderline, and classes for intellectually disabled were too low, but he was lost in even the learning disability classes. He was so down on himself that I tried to argue that he should spend a year being the #1 guy in the ID class, catching up and finally knowing he could pass something because he had gotten straight Fs for YEARS. So we finally got him in the class and made sure that he wouldn't have to take the standardized testing...

He did great in the class, but the teachers there switched him back to standardized testing, even though he had failed every one since elementary school. I was ready to scream.

In this case, I think home schooling is wise. There are a lot of dedicated special education teachers out there...but there are also a lot of incompetent, clueless, arrogant teachers, and for these kids the risk of getting the lousy teachers may not be worth it.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
raro said:
As a special ed teacher, this situation is one of the most frustrating of all. Those in charge tend to have preconceived ideas of where the child belongs. We had a young man at the beginning of the year who was borderline, and classes for intellectually disabled were too low, but he was lost in even the learning disability classes. He was so down on himself that I tried to argue that he should spend a year being the #1 guy in the ID class, catching up and finally knowing he could pass something because he had gotten straight Fs for YEARS. So we finally got him in the class and made sure that he wouldn't have to take the standardized testing...

He did great in the class, but the teachers there switched him back to standardized testing, even though he had failed every one since elementary school. I was ready to scream.

In this case, I think home schooling is wise. There are a lot of dedicated special education teachers out there...but there are also a lot of incompetent, clueless, arrogant teachers, and for these kids the risk of getting the lousy teachers may not be worth it.
Thanks for that :)

She is going to homeschool her. :woot I believe she has found a proper curriculum to suit the childs needs as well. Thank you all for offering advice and support!!! :hugs

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Yea! Sounds like the best situation for that child. :)

FWIW Raro, when Sam's neuro psych strongly suggested special ed classes for my daughter, I asked her how Sam would take it. (I'm always worried about her self confidence) She (the neuro psych) said most children with special needs are relieved. :) She was right, Sam is actually excited about this class. She (neuro psych) also worded the neuro psych evaluation so strongly that the admin couldn't put her where they wanted.

By the way her special ed teacher (she only needs it in math) is awesome, thank goodness! :hugs to all the GREAT teachers (special ed or not) out there!! Wish we had more!!