Horehound?

Joebwe25

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Does anybody here grow horehound?
I was considering growing it, but I heard it can cause irregular heartbeat.
Does it?
People used to brew a tea out out of it for sore throats and make candies out of it.
Please fill me in.
Thanks!

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Well, since no one has posted anything yet-, I'll mention my only experience with the intake of Horehound. My Mom used to make a candy of it for sore throats when I was a kid. Can't remember it ever seems to do good but it did stop any complaining about symptoms on my part- nasty taste. On par with her Sweet Onion syrup.

PS It also grows wild here- can be a irritating weed - pretty persistant but not outrageous.

PSS- Well it didn't kill me anyway.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Can't remember it ever seems to do good but it did stop any complaining about symptoms on my part- nasty taste.
LOL - yes indeedy!

I suspect that way back when, someone figured that if it tasted that horrible it just *had* to do *something* good for you <g>

Kind of a purty plant, though - very silver leaves, although a bit straggly in habit. I keep thinking about planting it but thus far have never found a good spot.

Pat

swampyankee

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I like to use horehound drops I get from The Farmers Almanac store when I get a cold, but I just like the taste.:lol:

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I don't know about horehounds effect on heartbeat but I know that it is a common folk remedy.

It is not native to North America and in many places is very invasive. It is found wild in almost every state.

If you were to grow it I would suggest using measures to control its spread.

Cetawin

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry for being late but I just signed up.

Horehound will alter your heart rate and blood pressure. While being a common ingredient in most cough syrups, it can be a problem.

Those with HBP should avoid licorice and horehound, both cold and cough remedies.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Cetawin! Welcome to the SS forum! (We are supposed to have a little smiley that says that but The Great and All-Powerful Nifty has not implemented this just yet.)

Greetings from our planet! :frow