House plant growing medium

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I enjoy having house plants around... almost (or sort of) "fun" - so I'm posting here in this subforum. ;)

House plants are a way of bringing life into the home in a region where we get four months of winter (and maybe just six months of actual outdoor gardening). I was so gung-ho about organic gardening approaches for a lot of years that I tried to grow house plants in garden-type soil. Worked miserably! Even with a "wick out the moisture" unglazed clay pot, there was too little drainage, too little oxygen getting to the roots.

Here's my "soil-less mix": 40% coir, 40% ground bark, 20% perlite. Add just a little calcium carbonate powder (or gypsum) for soil calcium. Stir well.

Put your plant into this mix in a clay pot. Then deeply water every four days with some liquid that may occasionally have some nutrient content in it. Works for a wide range of plants. Of course, the 'every four days' may be too often for some plants, too infrequent for others - but I find it to be generally about right. In a really humid or really arid climatic zone, conditions in your house could be different, which would also need to be taken into consideration.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I used to love having lots of house plants. I honestly can't remember how they left, but I think they were gone around the same time the children started arriving. Well, my plants are mainly outside, except when we starting our garden plants indoors. Suddenly I have more house plants than ever......Momma loved them, plus several given as sympathy gifts. Appreciate the mixture advice. Might come in useful. Afraid I don't have enough natural lighting though.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Many so-called house plants are actually undergrowth plants naturally and don't see that much light. Once when I was painting a room I thought it would be OK to set the plants outside [but not in direct sun] when I moved them back inside that evening I knew I was in big trouble. a few were fried but most showed sunburn some of those died and many were set back and took a while to recover.