How about ideas for names?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
How about we brainstorm for names now? Any ideas out there for the different levels of self-sufficiency? I'll ponder a few..... :hu

Webster describes self-sufficient as being able to supply one's own needs without external assistance.

Sort of like growing from a baby to an adult. Maybe we could use the growth stages? (newborn, terrible twos, etc.)

Or even the different levels of a town's growth? (new in town, making friends, etc. )

Or the stages of construction on a house? (Digging Foundation, Framing Up, etc.

I know these are kind of lame, so I need some creative genius out there.....anyone?

risurocket

Power Conserver
Reaction score
the first thing that popped into my head was types of dwellings such as cave, tent, log cabin, moving up from there, but that kind of suggested too much status quo...
So...um...maybe produce, like knee high corn or something.

If I remember how ranks work from when I was dabbling in making forums, you can get little graphics instead of titles. Maybe there's a decent graphic such as a line of houses that starts at no houses and goes to whatever number. So instead of titles people would have little pictures of something appropriate under their names like a line of smilies, just for an example.

here's an example of a list of rank images which I am sure the admin and mods know all about already....
http://www.phpbbhacks.com/rankimages.php

edited to add: another link: http://www.phpbb.com/styles/db/index.php?i=browse&mode=group:component&sub=ranks

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Pics or symbols would be nice! That's a good idea! :D Ya' gotta' admit, this forum is a tough one for names!

Chirpy

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I can't believe I actually logged in to another forum... this will be a great one!

How about:

Penthouse
Downtown
Apartment
Suburbs
Single family
Rural
Country
Off grid

Kinda like starting out with almost zero self sufficiency like in a Penthouse in a downtown area and working your way toward total self sufficiency being totally off grid, etc.???

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Most excellent!!! I likes! :D But then, you may have folks who live in the country, who are already off grid, who won't get the correlation between number of posts and the names, and get all uptight over it! Not me, though...I like it!

I don't know how the admin. and mods decide on these things and if they even require input, but I posted this thread so as to help them a little.....

Nifty? Any thoughts?

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Lemme stew on this a bit, but keep the ideas coming.

I was talking to my buddy last night about this forum and we discussed the vision / mission i.e., BYC's vision is a chicken in every yard and the mission is to have the friendliest & most helpful place anywhere to get chicken help.

I told him that my goal with this site is to have it be a destination for anyone to do their bit for self sufficiency... everyone from Donald Trump to the guy sleeping in a tree house eating grubs and drinking bark-tea.

Why do I bring this up? Well, I think the titles should reflect our openness to people of all walks of life and situations.

I like the brainstorming so keep the ideas coming!!!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
This is just one person's opinion and I recognize it may quite likely not be shared by many others, but I thought I would at least get it out there on the table...

...it seems to me that in this forum, much more so even than in any of your others (including the secret printer-cartridge forum, I'm sure <g>) it would not feel 'right' to have titles that imply value judgement or ranking or this-better-than-that. I mean, it is not like a person with a jillion posts is actually a better person or more self-sufficient (whatever that means) or even a more important contributor to the forum community than someone who only posts once or twice a week.

Unfortunately that would leave out any of the cute heirarchical naming schemes (*because* they are intrinsically heirarchical).

Sometimes there may actually be a time and place for calling a spade a spade -- "Newcomer", "Some Posts", "A Buncha Posts", "Whole Lotta Posts", "What do we have to do, glue this person's keyboard together?", etcetera.

;)

Just a thought,

Pat

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:gig :yuckyuck

You gonna make me pee my pants!

You're so right! Its not about the number of posts. Its about the willingness to share ideas for making all our lives more self-sufficient!

How about this idea? The admin. can have a place on here with a list of names that represent where one is, in this ideal we call self-sufficiency, and one can choose a name according to how they feel about their progress at any given time.

Like, say, I made a major step towards getting off the grid or growing my own food...say installing solar panels or buying a milk cow or...well, you get the picture. I might go to the list of names and change my name from Doing What I Can to Embracing Change or some such title. How about a little autonomy with our names by choosing from a set list that can be changed, or added to, by our administrator or mods as they see fit. Or when someone comes up with a good suggestion for a name? The mods can add it to the list! Sort of like a cut and paste choice of how we feel at the moment. We change our avatars, why not our titles? :)

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Pat, we're totally on the same page... I think you just did a better job of explaining!

I think there is a happy medium where we can have custom titles based on post count that can be fun and show different levels of participation vs. levels of knowledge or betterness.

Footnote: The inkjet forum was a great place for me to grind my teeth on forum management... there is a bit of housekeeping I need to do over there now that I've had a LOT more experience.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Nifty said:
Pat, we're totally on the same page... I think you just did a better job of explaining!

I think there is a happy medium where we can have custom titles based on post count that can be fun and show different levels of participation vs. levels of knowledge or betterness.

Footnote: The inkjet forum was a great place for me to grind my teeth on forum management... there is a bit of housekeeping I need to do over there now that I've had a LOT more experience.
I agree with you