How Do I Feed My Laying Hens Non GMO?

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I decided a few years ago not to eat any gmo food myself or feed it to my family. Lately it has been bothering me

that I feed layer, game bird and scratch to my hens that most probably contain gmo grains. I was told they mix up all the corn,

soy etc. so you can't know if there are any gmo's. I suspect it is mostly gmo corn and soy. How can I feed my hens

non gmo's so they get enough protein to lay well?

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Look for a brand of chicken feed that is non-GMO. There is a brand out of Western Washington that is non-GMO, but I don't know if you could get it easily (without huge shipping fees) where you live . . . maybe there is something similar in your area? As you may have guessed, it will most likely be more expensive than what you are feeding your chickens now.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I would say do this.............

Grow some corn for your chickens figure up a number and number of rows you need and size your flock as to how you can support them. Do you have a milk cow or milk goat? If you do, use your extra milk by makinbg a mash with the corn you grew ground up with any veggie/meat scraps, and use the milk and a egg as base. This is my goal when I get my goat or cow next year. Im gonna cull down to 15 chickens and a roo. I grow heirloom corn not in sufficient amounts yet, it was a bad year for it.

In this mash the corn is the carb, milk and egg is the protein, then veggie scraps and meat scrap add to it. Then you can free range for extra greenery and over all health.

This idea comes from the Backwoods Home Writer Jackie Clay.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
Look for a brand of chicken feed that is non-GMO. There is a brand out of Western Washington that is non-GMO, but I don't know if you could get it easily (without huge shipping fees) where you live . . . maybe there is something similar in your area? As you may have guessed, it will most likely be more expensive than what you are feeding your chickens now.
That is a good idea. I will call around here and ask. I think the last time I asked was 3 years ago.

Maybe a market has developed for it here. Would you mind telling me how much it cost compared to conventional?

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
I would say do this.............

Grow some corn for your chickens figure up a number and number of rows you need and size your flock as to how you can support them. Do you have a milk cow or milk goat? If you do, use your extra milk by makinbg a mash with the corn you grew ground up with any veggie/meat scraps, and use the milk and a egg as base. This is my goal when I get my goat or cow next year. Im gonna cull down to 15 chickens and a roo. I grow heirloom corn not in sufficient amounts yet, it was a bad year for it.

In this mash the corn is the carb, milk and egg is the protein, then veggie scraps and meat scrap add to it. Then you can free range for extra greenery and over all health.

This idea comes from the Backwoods Home Writer Jackie Clay.
These ideas sound good but I don't have enough property right now to grow any grains or get more animals. I am looking for property now. I do have plans to grow grains.

I also want sheep for mutton. I love mutton! I don't have plans for any dairy animals though because we don't eat dairy.

What I need to find now is a combination of grains and other foods that won't cost too much. I am willing to pay a little more but I can't figure out a good cheap source of protein.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I was trying to figure out a good protein source this time last year and i searched and searched. Tried earthworms they died. SUnflowers did okay but I dont have enough to do it.............milk is now the best option.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
I was trying to figure out a good protein source this time last year and i searched and searched. Tried earthworms they died. SUnflowers did okay but I dont have enough to do it.............milk is now the best option.
What was the trouble you had with earthworms? I think crickets are easy to raise. I wonder how many I would need for 30 chickens. lol

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Woodland Woman said:
BarredBuff said:
What was the trouble you had with earthworms? I think crickets are easy to raise. I wonder how many I would need for 30 chickens. lol
Im not to sure. But I didnt have enough to sustain a flock of 33 anyway so who knows..........

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Remember- anything labeled "organic" is not allowed to contain GMO's. I feed organic layer pellets, for that reason (among others.) You might have to call around to find it. My local Agway, orders it for me. And yes, it is twice as much as non-organic. 23.00 per 50 pound bag.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Right now I am paying $28 for (I think it is) 40 lbs. It is whole grain, which I prefer over pellets. But, yes, my recollection is that food labeled "organic" cannot be GMO. However, I have heard that there is no such thing as non-GMO corn anymore, as the GM genes have spread into the organic corn crops (cross pollination in corn is very hard to avoid). The feed I use does not have soy or corn in it.