How do you get rid of mold?

chicknwhisperer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I bought a big bread box from the Goodwill store yesterday for a great price. The thing is, is that it had some mold on the outside and the inside. I cleaned it but it still smells yucky. Will that effect me bread? How can I make the smell go away. I put some baking soda in a small bowl in there. Will that help?

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
If it still smells mouldy it is because it is still mouldy. Will it fit in your sink? If I were you I'd soak it in bleach and water, or put some bleach and water in a sprayer and spray it all and let it sit for a few minutes

chicknwhisperer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
There is no way in heck that sucker would fit in my kitchen sick lol. I'll clean out my wash sink in the basement and see if that will do the trick. Thanks

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
This is wooden, is it? I'd try bleach, or a strong salt-and-hot-water, scrubbed all over the inside, and then put the box (open) out in the sun for at least a few days. Ideally turn it during the day so the sun shines INTO it as much as possible.

However, the mold is probably down into the cracks and crevices where the pieces of wood join. It may be difficult to get rid of entirely. You may end up having to refinish the whole piece or at least the inside (sand vigorously, pick as much crud out of cracks as possible using a needle or whatever, then apply a number of coats of polyurethane or something like that).

Good luck,

Pat

chicknwhisperer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I soaked and I think it is down in the cracks of the box. I will try putting it in the sun. I would hate to not be able to use it, it is really big.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
You might succeed by putting a bowl of bleach with some water inside the box, shutting it up and letting it sit for a few days or so. The bleach wate rwill evaporate and sort of fume the inside, hopefully getting into the crevices. Might eat into the finish too though. I did that with a moldy piece of furniture- covered it in plastic and put a bowl under the chair.

chicknwhisperer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'll give that a try in the morning. I don't want to wake up my roo thats in the basement lol. He has to sleep in the kennel down there because he really like one of the ladies but she is only 15 weeks old hehe. They will finish having their coop remodeled by Monday I hope. :fl

chicknwhisperer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
Hmmm..........A chicken chaperone. A new topic for Oprah.
LOl he only has one thing on his mind lately and that is Buella my BO. She is very pretty I think and so does he. My kids asked what he was doing lol. Why is he biting her? So then we had a short lesson on how he wants to have baby chickies and that we can't have any till spring. Kids don't know anything yet about animals and mating. So they are learning that we get more chickens when the chickens make more babies. And how the neighbors dog had puppies. They came from the city where they were living with my parents. Well welcome back to mama's house where most things are told as they are and others you only get a very brief explanation. :hu