How do you move 16 ft cattle pannels????

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I went to Orschelins today, to get some cattle pannels. They are 16 ft long...and only $20. Plus, on Tuesdays...they have a military discount! :D So, I paid for my 6 pannels....20 T posts..and a 4 ft gate. THEN I told them, I have a S10 pickup! :lol: They just looked at me like I had 3 heads. However....we got them loaded..and I got them home safe. However....while unloading them...with the help of a neighbor...we were trying to get the straps off of them, and my pinky finger somehow got in between the black C part of the strap...and the fence. And there it was....stuck while we struggled to get some tension relieved. :barnie I think my finger is OK..just REALLY sore! It sure is the prettiest shades of red and purple tho! LOL
So, here is how I moved the pannels.
99_cattlepanels.jpg

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
That's how I moved mine....and it was a scary ride! I kept imagining them flipping off into the traffic behind me....... :barnie

Hope your finger survived the struggle..... :( Ouch! :barnie

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
I suspect that if I had to haul 16 ft panels that you and I would have the same idea!! :D I mean we are country folk and all!!

I had been meaning to pop in and say hello to you, but truth is I have been busier than a one eyed cat watching 5 mouse holes at once!! One thats around thee parts... I have been busier that a one armed Amish carpenter!!! :lol:

I hope you and DH are doing well!!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yup, the finger is still attached! LOL Its just sooooo sore! Its not broken, I can move it..but I dont want to! LOL
Thanks J....I know we have been pretty busy too. getting lots of small jobs done...waiting for the rain to stop so we can get in the garden. UGH! I LOVE spring...for the most part. :p At least I know I sleep better. ;)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Ice that finger for quicker healing! Wrap it in a thin, dampened towel, and apply a soft gel ice pack. Or use a ziploc with ice cubes and water. Then allow it to go through four sensations of cold: CBAN....Cold, Burning, Achy, Numb. Then remove the ice, and re-apply later. You can reduce healing time by up to 75% (hurts two weeks vs hurts 3.5 days!) if you get that ice on asap. Ouch!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks Free. I DID try the ice. OUCH! I couldnt stand the pain. The strap caught me just at the knuckle. Im just glad it didnt seperate it!

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We must have just missed each other in town - I know I would have noticed your truck!
Hope your finger is better today.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That's how we moved ours and those panels can be wicked. I hate trying to move those things-they just don't cooperate. Hope your finger feels better.

cmjust0

Power Conserver
Reaction score
That's sorta how I move them, but not exactly. They're bent into a "U" shape, but instead of being bowed upward, they're laid down and the top of the bend is at the front of the bed by the cab. Then I run a few straps through them and tighten it all down.

I don't think it makes much difference either way, though.

BTW...in my not so humble opinion.. :) ..there's only one thing cattle panels are good for, and that's to be used for climbing vegetables to run up.

For animal use? Not so great..

Just my opinion, though.. :D

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
we're big fans of hog panels (rather than cattle panels)... they have smaller holes at the bottom and we use them for everything.

but we totally cheat.. we tell them boys at the feedstore to bust out the bolt cutters and cut them in half (so we have 2 8ft sections). then we can put them into the back of the big truck.

actually they are much easier to use/move/install for me (i'm the shortest girl ever)...so having them cut is easiest.

we like to use the half sections for gates. just use tposts and bailing twine and voila... a gate where you need it.

we also use them for dividing pens in half, containing anyone who needs a time out, reinforcing a section of field fence, golly.. just about anything. sometimes shockingly even for pigs!

sorry about your finger, justusnak!